Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so this is probably been answered someplace unknown to me. I have a 1999 Subaru legacy outback SUS EJ25D with the 8 bolt bell housing hookup. I continue to run into people saying that car is type specific as far as engines go. what are my options? can I use a JDM 4 bolt EJ25D or EJ22 because I cant seem to find a 25 that's not high miles and very expensive 1300$ was the best I could find. I am interested in these 4 bolt JDM motors. will they work Plug and Play with my 99 SUS?

Thanks all

this is the JDM I would like to use

$(KGrHqNHJCcFBoLhPPYfBQbEROVYmQ~~60_12.J

post-50284-0-75789600-1386367855_thumb.jpg

Edited by SubDrew207

Yes and no.. The 4 bolt JDM 2.2L will fit and work with the  8 bolt SUS transmission. The bellhousing patterns match and the engine would hook up and run with the EJ25D harness.. The JDM's do not have EGR so if you live in an inspection state where the CEL cannot be on then it will not pass without an EGR manifold and some trickery.. If you want a bolt and go reliable engine. A 1995-1996 EJ22 from an automatic Legacy would have the EGR and fit and run just like the JDM..

My '99 SUS has a '96 EJ22 in it. You need to install the flexplate from the EJ25 on the EJ22. It looks tight but it fits and works

Edited by matt167

could I tap and die the egr port on a jdm engine and hook it up or does the engine not allow that?

This is the engine link I have found some info on EGR installations to jdm motors. I want to be sure before I make a purchase that the 4 bolt engine will work with my tranny 8 bolts. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231090939179&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Or could I take my ej25d manifold from the sus and install it on the jdm ej25d and tap and die the egr port?

Thanks

Edited by SubDrew207

I would not install an EJ25D, JDM or otherwise. EJ22E only.. You could drill and tap the cylinder head for the EGR but you would still need an EGR intake manifold and wiring harness with the EGR plug.. With an EGR intake manifold you could also tie the EGR valve into one of the hoses on the back airbox and that would keep the CEL off

The 4 bolt engine will fit the 8 bolt trans. I have done it and it's a very common swap

Edited by matt167

I'd also go with an EJ22 swap.  Amazing motor and easy to find since they're zero demand (because they don't eat rod bearings and headgaskets like EJ25's)

. I want to be sure before I make a purchase that the 4 bolt engine will work with my tranny 8 bolts. 

Or could I take my ej25d manifold from the sus and install it on the jdm ej25d and tap and die the egr port?

Thanks

Keep in mind JDM's are nothing magical, they're the same gasket and engine prone to headgaskets blowing too.

4 bolt 8 bolt doesn't matter, bolts right up either way.

bolt US intake manifold to JDM engine.

there's a thread on how to bypass the EGR code, very simple and not get a code.  no drilling/tapping/installing EGR required. find that thread.

i have a 120k EJ25, PM or email me if interested.

Edited by grossgary

Update: ok so I found a 98 Subaru legacy outback ej25d with the heads done and timing belt water pump ect. will this bolt up to my 99 sus tranny. I think from the research i've don't that it should no problem including the wiring harness? I am paying 600$ and the guys gonna pull it from his car for me.

In advance thanks all you

Subaru techy