Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Impreza Outback Sport Face Lift

impoutback 97

My 1997 Impreza Outback Sport has been evolving ever since I found this site 5 years ago. Since then Ive lifted and converted parts from various Subaru models, picking and choosing what will work for me and my off road capable goal. 

This face lift has nothing to do with the cars function except It will incorporate the large foglights that come with the 1998-1999 Front bumper for a Legacy Outback. 

I plan on swapping a 1996 outback, single piece/face headlights and grill onto my 97 impreza by drilling the spot welds and removing the top radiator mount support and head light, sheet metal framing. Just like Legos, It should take little tweeking to make it work. I also plan to run a 1998-99 Outback front bumper. Everything should mesh well  and I cant wait to have it finished.

Why am I doing this?  Ive been gathering parts here and there for a couple of years now. A month ago A deer jumped out in front of my car and took out my front end/bottom radiator mount, radiator, a/c evaporator, and the passenger side head light and turn signal. Hood made it out unscathed, as did both fenders. The deer caused my passenger side front disc break to lock up and pulled me into the oncoming traffic lane. Luckily no other cars were on the road and my dogs were safe. Needless to say, the accident forced me to put my parts gathering into action and see if it could be done. I allready know that the bumper will fit and line up with the wheel wells because that what I was running when I hit the deer.

More pictures to come as it progresses...

post-27346-0-16519200-1386375214_thumb.jpg

post-27346-0-46246800-1386375239_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Ive swapped so many parts from a 98 Outback though, This will be the icing on the cake And untouched territory. Thats what this forum is all about, isnt it? Taking these "Legos" and reassembling them in a unique fashion.  Ive used all 4 disc breaks, 2" body lift, struts, sway bars and rims off of a 98 Outback. Also bucket seats and rear strut coils off of a Forester (98 I think), clutch style rear 3.90 LSD (reclaimed off of a 240 Z) and a 2.0/2.5 Frankenmotor with a 04 WRX exhaust. Next comes the Dual Range trans and ported heads with low torque Delta cams. I have a welded 3.90 rear diff waiting for some off road too...

It should look like a mini Outback now, when the new front end is installed.  I'll have to do a bit of cutting to the fenders for the turn signal curved cut/border and swap out the brackets that hold the turn signals in place. I plan on replacing both my fenders anyways, due to dents and rust patches, so the first set will be a practice run. I'll probably make a template for the cut line to avoid any gaps. Maybe I'll cut it a bit long so I can roll the edge? That curve will make it tough, I  think.

Any body guys on here with any tips and tricks on how to approach this?

Edited by impoutback 97

The Outback bumper does not line up with the Impreza grill and lights. That, and the fact that the park lights are wired in the 96 turn signals, is why Ive decided to do the full swap. The 96 Outback head lights have 2 mounting points on the cross bar / radiator mount. Where the 97 Impreza does not. Another reason for pulling the 96 cross bar with the head light brackets attached and I wont have to mess with spacing this way, too.

The stock 97 hood lines should mesh well with the new lights and grill. Its like its been waiting for this mod all along...

Yeah, Gloyal, I'm full of missinformation.  I'll figure it out one of these days and actually do this board justice by actually making sense about what I'm trying to describe. Trust me, my verbal communication skills are just as bad...  "Im looking for this part thats behind that one thing that does this and that. You know... That thing a ma bob????... 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Progress being made slowley, but surely. The front headlights mounting bracket is off of a 96 legacy and I picked up a new/used front bumper off of a 98 outback. I still need to remove and replace the bottom radiator mounting bracket/crossbar due to bend and warp. I could try to bend it back more but figured I might as well just replace it and do it right.

The exhaust header is an e bay special but Im satisfied with the welds and bends so far, we'll see once its mounted. It ought to breathe real nice with the WRX exhaust I'll have behind it.

I still need to find a front grill off of a 98-99 outback too.

post-27346-0-85104900-1392339025_thumb.jpg

post-27346-0-73124900-1392339037_thumb.jpg

post-27346-0-19829500-1392339049_thumb.jpg

post-27346-0-77269700-1392339062_thumb.jpg

post-27346-0-16838500-1392339070_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

loose fit and without fenders. Finally able to delete the stock 97 bumper mounted indicators/running lights since the headlights have a bulb to replace them, just needed to wire them in using a 96 plug and splicing the hot wire in while grounding the extra ground wire thats left over from the stock bumper lights.

post-27346-0-55084700-1419110544_thumb.jpg

Edited by impoutback 97

<p>the hood doesnt slope at the front lip like the legacy outback does, so there is a bit of a gap when lining up with the grill. the fenders needed to be trimmed for the outline of the indicator lights, which left a gap where the stock lights mounted but covered well with the bra until I get around to patching it.</p>

<p>post-27346-0-69608900-1419111306_thumb.jpg</p>

Edited by impoutback 97

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...