Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy gas odor inside

Since it's been cold, the rubber lines that connect the metal fuel lines under the intake manifold, have shrunk down letting fuel/vapor to escape. I had 8 cars in the shop in two days with the same complaint. Subaru has a TSB for the first gen WRXs to get a fuel line update but nothing for the other cars from what I can remember.

Check the clamps to make sure they're tight but if the issue continues, you will want to replace hoses.

Caboobaroo,

Just wanted to make sure, I found 3 fuel hoses with clamps in the intake manifold area, are those the ones? I am assuming this is ordinary fuel line hose, not a dealer part?

I also saw 2 larger diameter hoses that don't have clamps, I am thinking these are evap or return lines? Do these have leak issues also?

Thanks.

You are correct on both. The three hoses are the fuel lines and the others are for the Evap system. No need to mess with the Evap lines, just check the fuel line clamps for tightness. Every car I do a new fuel filter on, I usually try and hit as many of those clamps as I can to help prevent it from happening.

I have the same issue with my 2001 Legacy. In my case it only seems to be noticeable on idle. Unfortunately I don't have an indoor space to get under the car but the next time it warms up a few degrees I'll try getting under there. 1197sts, after you get at it are you able to post a picture of which lines you tightened and if they made a difference? Last winter I fixed one that was leaking but this winter there's a gas smell again and can't seem to find it. Thanks!

I have attached a page from the maintenance manual, items 19 and 22 are the fuel hoses (Auto Trans version). The illustration does not show it realistically, the lines are burried between the manifold and the block.  

I got a screwdriver on 4 of 6 clamps and it did seem to fix the problem. I really wont know for sure until it get really cold again, as that is when it was the most noticeable.

Sorry for the delayed response.

post-29280-0-28187000-1387306763_thumb.jpg