Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Subaru Brat. From death to life and everything in-between

Do you have a Webber on it?  If so, what jets are you running?

It does have a Weber Carb on it. Although I'm not sure what jets it has. I had the entire thing rebuilt through my mechanic so I assume whatever came with the carb itself. Factory Weber jetting? Would a close up picture help?

Okay, so I finally had a chance to tackle this today. In order to take the steering wheel off, you have to do the following:

1. Unscrew the set screw that holds the horn button onto the steering wheel. This is behind the wheel on the left hand side of it.

16172983297_20afb988ae_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

2. Press the horn button down, and turn counter-clock wise. Horn wheel pops off EASILY.

15738903723_b5a40d80b3_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

3. 17mm Socket to remove the nut holding the steering wheel.

4. Wheel slides off with ease.

16332904926_0528c6ddf9_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

From the FSM:

16172657469_3970d305a4_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/151031-steering-wheel-removal/

In addition to removing and repairing / cleaning the steering wheel, I also removed and replaced the broken turn signal assembly with another one (the other one I used was in a bit better shape and in Black plastic rather than Brown).  The 3 screws that are normally supposed to hold the entire turn signal assembly securely on the steering, were gone. I've since found screws and installed it properly into the new/replacement assembly and now the entire thing is SOLID. 

Edited by spicypeanut
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, so here is my big surprise update.

I recently picked up a factory ea71 air cleaner assembly (two actually) from 2 fellow members. The better one I left un-touched and pristine. The air cleaner that needed some TLC, I took that one over to my machine shop friend. The machine shop guy "Larry" has been working with metal basically his entire life. He is a plethora of information and wisdom. During this project I even got to use some tools that were owned by his father (which were used while building prototype B-29 Bombers back in the day. 

Anyways, we get to work and the end product is a factory EA71 air cleaner that bolts right up to the aftermarket Weber carburetor. 

I've never actually seen this done before. Who knows, maybe its the first time someone has wanted the engine bay to look stock while using a Weber? What do you guys think?

Before:

14115884350_bd7c633b03_b.jpgyXynQaU - Imgur by blue03wrx, on Flickr

After:

16836807348_e4ba31ac80_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

16838367159_a817dcd085_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

17023135922_8bd4c17590_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

You can see sort of what we did here:

16404432393_e7f5d2264e_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Here's what we basically did.

1. Cut large circular hole in original air cleaner bottom

2. Cut equally large sized circle out of Aluminum

3. Cut Aluminum to fit around funky Weber carb opening

4. Drill and bevel holes for all factory lines

5. Rivet new base plate to factory air cleaner bottom

Edited by spicypeanut
  • Like 5

Did some more work on it this weekend. The car is pretty much rust free. And I would like to keep it that way. I actually had some time to myself on Saturday so I jacked the Brat up, removed the wheels, cleaned the inside wheel wells, and spayed them with an anti-rust coating. Nothing like a few hours sliding around on the garage floor, with little particles all over my hands and arms....I didn't take too many pictures because I had some place to be and was running late. It took me a solid 3 hours or so. But I think you get the idea. I sprayed a WHOLE bunch in the front fenders, as far up and forward as I could go. Just to make sure. 

Bagged:

17024335226_2e06c77028_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Masked off:

17049510861_9ec7c1f241_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Before:

17024334916_ac8f5756b5_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

After:

17050345405_9d186456b4_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, so here is my big surprise update.

I recently picked up a factory ea71 air cleaner assembly (two actually) from 2 fellow members. The better one I left un-touched and pristine. The air cleaner that needed some TLC, I took that one over to my machine shop friend. The machine shop guy "Larry" has been working with metal basically his entire life. He is a plethora of information and wisdom. During this project I even got to use some tools that were owned by his father (which were used while building prototype B-29 Bombers back in the day. 

Anyways, we get to work and the end product is a factory EA71 air cleaner that bolts right up to the aftermarket Weber carburetor. 

I've never actually seen this done before. Who knows, maybe its the first time someone has wanted the engine bay to look stock while using a Weber? What do you guys think?

Before:

14115884350_bd7c633b03_b.jpgyXynQaU - Imgur by blue03wrx, on Flickr

After:

16836807348_e4ba31ac80_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

16838367159_a817dcd085_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

17023135922_8bd4c17590_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

You can see sort of what we did here:

16404432393_e7f5d2264e_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Here's what we basically did.

1. Cut large circular hole in original air cleaner bottom

2. Cut equally large sized circle out of Aluminum

3. Cut Aluminum to fit around funky Weber carb opening

4. Drill and bevel holes for all factory lines

5. Rivet new base plate to factory air cleaner bottom

So you are using the old air cleaning instead of the Weber filter?

• Like 1