Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Subaru Brat. From death to life and everything in-between

Just aquired some new parts.

Box of AC related goodies. Compressor, dryer, compressor bracket, switch, fan (plus an extra good fan).

22467638419_40719b720d_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

This is the bit that goes up under the dash. Its a bit tired. Is there a company that I can send this out to for a rebuild? Does anyplace like that even exist?22467638249_23a900c099_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

New wheels mocked up. I still haven't decided what wheels I want to get tires for.

22467636129_78d284714a_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr22237031744_c88032327d_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

I cleaned this up, had some rust on some of the bits. Cleaned up the housing, de-rustified, fresh paint and all around polishing up. 

22859796665_59885a3047_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Edited by spicypeanut
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I grew up in Tucson, I completely understand the A/C is sooo very worth all of the hard work!  If you're missing a bit or two, would you be able to get them from places like vintage air?

That being said, most cars, including my 2002 Impreza and wife's 2005 C180 have no A/C!  Ireland has such a mild summer, you might only hit temps of 18C to 20C (68F to 75F-ish) a couple times all summer.

I love the progress, keep it up!

Saw this guy on auto trader today. Getting rid of her already?

Yeah I do have it up on auto trader, we are redoing our house and can use the extra money to help redo the kitchen before we move in. I would prefer not to sell it but the money would help get me into the house.

I did just find the bed trim piece that holds down the carpet which is pretty rough but I'll be able to restore it. So I'm still continuing with the build regardless. Regarding the ac, I think it might be best if I went with a brand new aftermarket system. Does any one have any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Uh I am pretty sure there is a piece of metal missing that would normally block off that hole, looking into the transmission it would seem there are some nice little metal shavings.... has anyone ever seen this happen before?

24598772395_ddbfd093d7_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

23971982433_e14aae567a_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

24516535281_800cf71757_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

24303243160_4d75577639_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

It looks like the factory casting of the transmission housing had that spot cast as if the factory intended to punch it out. Well what I think happened is, that little square piece of metal broke loose some-how and fell into the transmission and bounced around on the clutch/flywheel. I won't know for sure until my mechanic looks at it.

Here is a similar engine/transmission and the metal plate is clearly visible. 

23972497333_651b098c15_b.jpge3bf90ea (1) by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Edited by spicypeanut
  • Like 1

I think that is the hole for the clutch fork on RHD cars.

On a side note, I am sure that A/C stuff was brand new (though really greasy/dusty), but you could replace the compressor/condenser with more modern hardware and have good A/C.

Have you sold the car? Have a link to the ad if you haven't?

• Like 1

Concur - Can be fixed with a rubber grommet plug. 

You'd want to make sure no debris is left in there though ... ;)

Ciao, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum
  • Like 1

On a side note, I am sure that A/C stuff was brand new (though really greasy/dusty), but you could replace the compressor/condenser with more modern hardware and have good A/C.

Have you sold the car? Have a link to the ad if you haven't?

Concur - Can be fixed with a rubber grommet plug. 

You'd want to make sure no debris is left in there though ... ;)

Ciao, Bantum ...

Thanks guys, I haven't had a chance to take it to the mechanic yet. Any pointers on accessing that spot? I assume we need to separate the transmission from the engine and inspect/wipe out the debris.

Actually, there is a rubber plug which goes in there.  It is an inspection and timing port.  If you turn the engine over you should see timing marks for setting the ignition timing.  The rubber plug insert is kinda difficult to find.  I have been running mine without it for years.

Nice build, BTW.  I am beginning work on my '79, but am going a different direction.  EA81 engine/trans/drive-train swap.  Probably suspension mods for longer travel.  I need to find longer travel struts, or another option to increase the suspension capabilities.  I also will swap the AC compressor for a newer version more capable of running with R134. 

Actually, there is a rubber plug which goes in there.  It is an inspection and timing port.  If you turn the engine over you should see timing marks for setting the ignition timing.  The rubber plug insert is kinda difficult to find.  I have been running mine without it for years.

Nice build, BTW.  I am beginning work on my '79, but am going a different direction.  EA81 engine/trans/drive-train swap.  Probably suspension mods for longer travel.  I need to find longer travel struts, or another option to increase the suspension capabilities.  I also will swap the AC compressor for a newer version more capable of running with R134. 

Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to see your progress. Make sure to document!

The timing inspection port is actually on the engine side, which does have a small rubber plug. The hole that is now open, is on the transmission side.

Yep could undo housing & try from underneath, but for peace of mind and to make sure there's no damage to the clutch - I would take the engine / gearbox out for inspection / clean up & refit. The Timing hole cover got me first time round too ... !

Cheers, Bantum ...

• 2 months later...

Update: Metal chunks came out while draining the transmission. Definitely broken teeth. Not sure how that happened since I was putting along at about 30 mph on the street. I assume from all the years the metal just decided it had had enough. The transmission is at the builders place now. While its getting redone, we will have fresh bushings swapped in to hopefully tighten up the shifter.

26284857542_06fc4e5fb5_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the call. The builder is unable to track down 2 gears. (I should know which two tonight). Anyone have any leads of replacement gear sets? My other option is to have gears made. I'm also reaching out to my contact that had my 1909 Pierce Arrow differential gear created to see how much it would cost.

Major update:

I spoke to the builder. The exact part that broke was the ring & pinion. Nothing else in the transmission was damaged. The EA71 4wd Transmission uses a 9 tooth spiral pinion and 35 tooth ring gear. It turns out the extra transmission I had laying around (unknown model) used the exact same ring & pinion as the EA71 4wd Transmission. The builder is checking the gears to make sure they are perfect. His actual words were, "beautiful" when he saw them. haha.

Brat should be back on the road in no time! Just wanted to post this here in case anyone ever had a similar issue.

• Like 1

After all this, I found out that the builder couldn't use the parts after all. The shaft that the pinion is pressed into has a slightly smaller diameter and can't be used. So now I'm back to hunting for new parts or buying a used transmission. Can anyone help?

• 3 weeks later...

Try http://www.car-part.com

There are a few of those transmissions listed there.

Thanks for this. I did a quick search and there are def a few options that are cheaper than the place we found in Idaho. They wanted $350+65 shipping. Found one local for a fraction of that price. Just trucked it over to my builders so we'll see if the parts check out okay.

Hope to have her back on the road soon. To make things more complicated, my registration is due on the 1st (which includes a smog check). I won't have the time to get it all back together and have it smogged before the registration is due. Looks like I'll need to Non-Op it and then handle the smog check after my dead line.

you can just pay the registration on time..smog out here in commiefornia is definitely necessary to complete the process BUT if u think you WILL get it smogged in under a year..? just make SURE you pay registration on TIME to avoid late fees! then once you pass smog the dmv gets automatically notified and then they issue your sticker! main thing is pay registration on time;) up to you tho! I've had to do it this way..good luck with the smog nazis! ughhh to this state...can't wait to move!

you can just pay the registration on time..smog out here in commiefornia is definitely necessary to complete the process BUT if u think you WILL get it smogged in under a year..? just make SURE you pay registration on TIME to avoid late fees! then once you pass smog the dmv gets automatically notified and then they issue your sticker! main thing is pay registration on time;) up to you tho! I've had to do it this way..good luck with the smog nazis! ughhh to this state...can't wait to move!

Thank you for the heads up. I didn't realize it works like that (but it does!).

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/vr_info#BM2514

Link for reference. I'll be paying the reg tonight and smogging sometime next month.

no problem! and i JUST realized this is YOUR build! we "met" already thru my current brat project i got from Kevin!;) glad to hear you got the transmission! hope it works out! glad it got put to use! your brat is amazing..wow..talk at u soon!

no problem! and i JUST realized this is YOUR build! we "met" already thru my current brat project i got from Kevin! ;) glad to hear you got the transmission! hope it works out! glad it got put to use! your brat is amazing..wow..talk at u soon!

Thank you very much for the kind words. My goal in saving her really was to pay the Brat the respect that they usually don't get. Kevin was a super nice guy, he's still got some misc parts. I think he said a few radiators and a transmissions for a 75 coupe 2wd (I think). Since you are in Cali, we should setup a weekend cruise up PCH with a few fellow group members. I bet that would be awesome.

And the obligatory welcome home shot.

27219299861_d5003b1b19_b.jpg

Edited by spicypeanut