Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Subaru Brat. From death to life and everything in-between

sweet!! that transmission was all you needed?! glad to see it's home! that's awesome! my project will be LONG..but I'm definitely down to swing your way..we'll keep in touch..mine definitely won't be as sweet looking as yours! haha I'll save his lowered suspension..I'm still working on getting stock stance back..may just look for another gen 1 to have for parts! we'll see..talk to you soon man!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a small update, had it smog checked. Made some adjustments and it is running better than ever while passing with flying colors. I swear it has to run cleaner than a prius now. All the measured numbers came in substantially lower than the average numbers.

• 10 months later...

December 8th, 2013 - May 19th, 2017.

So it is with a heavy heart that I write this post. Today, my Brat is no longer in the garage. I've parted ways with her, and hope that the new owners appreciate her as much as I have these last few years.

My intention when I originally brought her home was to save her from the scrap yard. I wanted to give it new life, take care of and restore her so that people would be proud to hop in, go for a ride and have fun. I feel I've made the little old Brat proud.

Farewell my little Brat!

34383784771_0cf1b5bd6f_b.jpg1978 Subaru Brat Nice Day For Pictures by blue03wrx, on Flickr

34353394172_037687b4a9_b.jpg1978 Subaru Brat Nice Day For Pictures by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Edited by spicypeanut
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

when you worked on the brat did you ever replace the rear shocks? if so did you find scrap factories or find something that fit but was for something else?

Sorry for my lateness in replying! I did not replace the rear shocks but I did notice they had been replaced at some point. I'm pretty sure when I was cleaning the rear wheel wells up I saw the shocks were white with red covers and I *think* were Rancho branded.

I did a quick google search and these might be potential replacements.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/pn/c11298p5261j1s45.jcwx?filterid=d1927y1978g81