Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No reverse when cold

Ok so I recently put a five speed d/r into my Brat. Had a few problems with not going into reverse before, put the shims in the bolts and fixed that problem, but now its doing the same thing as before. Except this time it only when my transmission is cold.

I live in Colorado and we've been having some cold nights and It like reverse doesn't exist, but the second I drive for a few minutes and warm it up its perfectly fine. Only does it when its colder than about ten degrees.

Anyone have any ideas how I could fix this? Possibly an idea for a "cozy" or some sort of way to keep it warm at night.

in our climate we have a lot of moisture . it tends to collect in the transmission and low temps make the gear oil awfully thick  .

but that's the thing. it doesn't feel stiff, if shift normally other than reverse. tranny feels like it does on a warm day, other than reverse. it is like theres two positions for neutral

Bump for anymore input... It really is an irritating symptom.  Not crippling by any means, but someone has to have a solution.  None of my searches have come up with anything.  I leave in Washington, so it never really gets that cold (although moisture is definitely prevalent) but it doesn't matter how warm the ambient temperature is, i can't find reverse until the car/engine is warm.