Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Loyale warms up & floods out

Hey guys,

New to USMB here. Awesome to know that these things exist for those who enjoy these rigs.

I have had an issue I have been chasing around in my '90 loyale wagon. It stalled out when driving one morning and since, has only been able to warm up on high idle, then loads up w/ fuel & stalls. I have changed the injector (SPFI), and cleaned out the MAF, but to no avail. Any Ideas?

I have checked spark at the plugs after it has warmed up, and still has plenty. I have not actually measured it though. I may have to see how much juice is making it there after it has warmed a bit. The reason for assuming the fuel issue was the substantial amount of fuel being cycled through when trying to start after a stall, but that would be quite a bit if there were not spark to consume it. I'll look into the coil and see also. Thank you guys.

Ok. I replaced the ignition coil, the old one looked as though it may have been factory. No dice. Still starts right up, idles for a while, then chokes out. It doesn't seem to warm up to low idle. I checked connections to coolant temp sensor, they look fine. I have no check engine light on when idling, but after it died out, I plugged in the green connector against firewall on drivers side and checked ecu light. Turned key to on. Consistently 7 quick flashes. I am at a loss here. If anyone has dealt with something like this, please help. Thanks.

The 7 flashes is an identity code (i.e, spfi, at, usa, 49 state)

Based on your symptoms, i would guess either the MAF is fouled, dirty, bad, or has a poor connnection, or any of the intake piping or hoses going to it are loise or have a leak.

Maybe the idle air control valve is not opening.

You will want to test the resistance to the coolant temp sensor to check it. See if the car behaves differently withthe CTS unplugged.

See what will happen if you unplug  the MAF and start the car. 

any old timer knowledge with old chevys and carburetors need not apply with the subaru, as it will lead you to the wrong conclusions.

I checked over MAF and coolant temp sensor (resistance at sensors and voltage from connectors). Also tested resistance of IAC. All are within tolerances as specified by Chilton manual. I had thought that MAF may have been it due to a clogged PCV valve sending oil into the intake, but that has been changed and the intake boot & MAF sensor have been cleaned w/ MAF cleaner. Is it possible that oil has made it into the TBI and burning, causing excess carbon on catylitic converter, maybe clogging it? Not sure though, please advise.

I'll second checking the intake boot for leaks. That rubber boot likes to crack with age, especially where the corrugations are. Mine is wrapped in a layer of electrical tape at both ends where the corrugations are for just that reason, they were looking pretty crackly so I 'sealed' them.