Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Carb for my 85 Soobie Brat

brat gl 1985 carb bogging

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 millhouse

millhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • West Virginia

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi All, 

This is Andrew here again. I am still trying to tackle this bogging out issue. My Brat runs really well when its not warmed up, but once it is warm it losses power when moving from a stopped position. I have completely rebuilt the carb and at this point I am pretty much done dealing with it. Its the stock carb and I am thinking its time to replace it with one of those webber carbs.

Does anyone have a link to the carb that will work with my 1985 Brat 1.8L?

As always, thanks in advance for your support and help. 

Cheers, 

Andrew

:banana:

#2 BratRod

BratRod

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

http://m.ebay.com/it...Id=281221126808

This is through the admin of the site (ShawnW). He owns a Subaru specialty shop, so rest assured that this is the correct kit.

There are multiple writeups on how to do this swap. It is very simple with some patience.

#3 millhouse

millhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • West Virginia

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

http://m.ebay.com/it...Id=281221126808

This is through the admin of the site (ShawnW). He owns a Subaru specialty shop, so rest assured that this is the correct kit.

There are multiple writeups on how to do this swap. It is very simple with some patience.

Looks like that one ended. :(

Also, do you have a link to how to do this swap? Thanks BratRod!

#4 BratRod

BratRod

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

My apologies, I did that from my phone and hadn't noticed. You can still message him through Ebay, or PM on here. Im sure you could call his shop, too (RetroRoo). 

http://www.ultimates...carb-on-ea82´s/

I would save those pics, as Jezek reaches his bandwidth limit on Photobucket pretty quick. Or take screenshots. 

Note: That write-up is for an EA82 engine. It is similar enough to you EA81 to get you through the swap, though. 

There are other, more complicated, options rather than the Weber. There is the Fuel injection conversion, (http://www.leoneturb...1_SPI_guide.pdf) and then the almighty EJ conversion. The Weber is BY FAR the easiest. 

Edit: http://www.indysworl...eber/weber.html There is another one. I can't find the one I'm looking for. It's on here somewhere. Hopefully another member will post it. That should give you an idea.

Edited by BratRod, 11 December 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#5 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Andrew, I went through a terrible drivability issue with my 87 Brat many years ago. Like you I felt it was the carburetor and replaced mine with a Webber! It fixed the problem even though I don't think the carb was the problem. I might get the name wrong but there are exhaust recirculating valves (I think that is what they are) on the bottom of your exhaust manifolds. They can hang up and cause all kinds of problems. Mine were capped for the Webber install and why I think that is what really fixed my Brat.   My problems if memory serves me was similar to yours. When cold it seemed to do okay, as it got warm it would lose power to the point you would have to down shift to maintain speed. Sometime it would backfire when shifting also. Might want to try blocking those off first! A Webber will give a little better performance just the same but if your carburetor was properly rebuilt it would be a shame to can it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users