Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake pedal goes to the floor

I just replaced my front brake rotors and pass and after I picked it up the brake pedal is really soft and goes all the way to the floor and my 88 gl wagon slowly slows down what is the problem that is making thisn happen. The mechanic said he bled the brakes.

*** Were the brakes working perfectly prior to this?

*** Why was it worked on/in the shop?

1. there is still air in the system

2. the caliper is leaking - the process of pushing the caliper pistons back in can compromise a weak or failing piston seal

3. the master cylinder is hosed

#2 and #3 are highly unlikely, so assuming we know everything there is to know about the brake system on this vehicle, #1 is highly likely.

He probably bled the fronts only, but the rear will need bled also as this is a dual-diagonal setup. the front and opposite side rear wheels are on the same line, and vise versa for the other line. If the car is a manual transmission, hold in the clutch while pumping so fluid moves through the hill holder.

• 3 weeks later...

Ran into this problem awhile back, decided the bleed the brakes in the Brat since the brake fluid looked like it hadn't been changed in many years.  Used one of those one man bleeders, and ended up scoring the piston in the master cylinder.  Bought a reman unit off of ebay and spent a good hour bleeding the brakes.  Still all the way to the floor.  Finally got pissed and went over to Harbor Freight and got a brake bleeder kit that hooks up to an air compressor.  Bam, still took about 45 minutes to get all the air out, but now the brakes work good for a old car.

i had something similar..changed the rear shoes on my wagon. (gl,1.8 ohv,carb) 

brakes all the way to the floor, had to pump numerous times to stop. bleed the brakes front and back same problem. 

solution..changed the brake booster and master cylinder.  wow let me tell you its better than ever, i never knew how crappy where my brakes..

cost brake booster 150

master        40