Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A quick question about the Aux fan thermoswitch and paperclip

Hey guys,

forgive my ignorance with electrical issues but i had issues with my fan not switching on and my car getting warmer than id like it to ( a little past the halfway mark). Now i read that  you can jump the connector to the thermoswitch and the fan should come on. Well it did=) Can i just leave the paperclip in the connector indefinitely or until i get a new thermoswitch to keep the fan running at all times? Will this mess anything up?

matt 

You can do that.If you want to wire in a switch, you could leave that permanently after replacing the thermoswitch. This way you can override it and make it come on when you want, but you can't accidentally leave it off. The thermoswitch grounds the fan circuit, which is hot all the time. 

if your car is an ea81, there is a ground wire at the top center of the radiator to the hood latch. make sure that is present

In my experience, with the factory switch (if yours is an EA82), it will normally run a touch above the half mark on the temp gauge. That is about when the electric fan should kick on for a minute, and then shut off about when the needle has dropped back to a hair below half.

Edited by SmashedGlass

In my experience, with the factory switch (if yours is an EA82), it will normally run a touch above the half mark on the temp gauge. That is about when the electric fan should kick on for a minute, and then shut off about when the needle has dropped back to a hair below half.

Absolutely True, it kicks on Above the Half mark, because normally there is a Mechanical Fan spinnin' all the time the engine is running.

That is Why I searched and found a slightly Cooler temp thermoswitch which is a Direct fit for the Subaru, but it came from another car's brand; it is necessary when you plan to run with electric Fan(s) Only, getting rid of the Mechanical fan.

Here's the Complete Writeup with Photos & Part Numbers:

~►  http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/125754-easy-guide-on-five-steps-to-twin-electric-fans-swap/

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

I would go the fuse route. Even though this is a low current ground circuit to turn the fan relay on, the paper clip is going to heat up. When off, it will cool down. After several cycles of this, it will either start to corrode or even break. Either can cause issues. I'm all for afro engineering to get out of a sticky situation as I've done it WAY too many times, but regular, daily driving requires a modicum of safety. Even a jumper wire is better than the clip.