Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone using a GL radiator with EJ swap

Carl B.

I am doing an EJ swap on my 91 Loyale and realized I have a GL radiator, with the 45* upswept bottom radiator outlet.  I was wondering if anyone found a hose that would work.  

here a pic

7yly.jpg

I was thinking a flex hose could work, but what length

Edited by Carl B.

I have a dual row ea82 radiator with an ej222 in an 86 gl coupe.

What i did was slip the ej hoses over the ea hoses, and clamped them. This adapted the radiator hose size to the engine hose size, since the ej is bigger. IT fits like a tension fit, and clamps over the joints work good. I don't have any leaks. I could have done one better and applied rubber cement to the couplings.

i just spliced together used stock hoses for either end. the bottom hose will be tricky to fit without a kink

i just ran into the same problem the other day . i think the longest flex hose they sell  should work probably about 18 inchs not sure though  i just bought a metal radiator for a loyale off amazon . i am getting the fitting cut off and 1.5 inch fittings put on . i am also taking the stock ea82 sending unit and getting it installed right under the passenger side radiator hose and wiring it to the stock gauge. 

I was shopping for exhaust cuplers and by looking at them, thought that maybe they could be used to adapt hoses. But the engine is so close to the radiator that it may be difficult to make room for it all without having kinks. you might get lucky and find a flex hose that has different diameters on either end.

you might get lucky and find a flex hose that has different diameters on either end.

That's what I've got for the lower hose on both my stock height swaps.

18" for lower and 11" for upper 1-1/4 at one end 1-1/2 at the other.

Just asked at Napa by dimension and they ordered them.