Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 turbo wagon rough idle and dies....

I have a 1985 GL wagon, automatic tranny, 70,000 original miles with a rebuild about 8,000 miles ago. It starts up immediatly cold or hot. When cold it will initallly have an idle of about 1600rpm, and settle down within a short period to a 900-1,000rpm. Driving it locally and on the highway it is fine,has nice smooth acceleration . Once it has warmed up and I come to a stop, it typically will idle  below 900. If i shut it off for a short period, restart it, the idle is around 500 and it begins a slow rough downward spirl until it dies. A mechanic looked at it and immediatly thought it was a valve,did a compression check and found the compression to range from 110 to 130 psi. The only  other symptom I noticed was the distinct smell of oil on hot metal after I  have driven it for 15+ minutes and shut the engine off. Suggestions as to what to look for? Thanks,Ed

Sounds like a plug fouls.Could be fuel or coolant.

Does a good REV or two improve matters?

I would start by inspecting the CTS connector for corrosion and the sender for resistance.

Next,check fuel pressure to see if it drops after shutdown because of a leaky injector.

See if you can identify a dead cylinder by pulling plug wires.

Pull plugs after a short period to inspect for fuel and coolant.

Make sure spark is as strong as w/cold.

Since the problem only begins after a hot soak,I`m guessing it is not the usual unmetered air/vacuum leak from the rubber intake tract

or rock hard PCV/vacuum hoses that the turbos suffer from.

Worth checking anyway.

Edited by naru