Ultimate Subaru Message Board

changed my timing belts and have a couple of questions, loyale

mete3

I recently replaced my timing belt and pulleys, oil pump, water pump, cam seals, main seal and thermostat (thanks for the videos miles fox!) 

When i first started the car the passenger side timing belt pulled backwards towards the firewall on the cam pulley and is was riding pretty close to the edge of the pulley. I turned the car off and loosened the tensioner and pulled the belt back to the center of the pulley. when i started the car again the belt went immediately back to riding on the edge of the cam pulley. any ideas? 

Also terrible gas mileage before and after this job circa 15mpg in the city any ideas on this? 

edit = car is a 5mt 4wd loyale with 261k, the repair was originally initiated from a ball bearing falling out of my oil pump.

thanks!

Edited by mete3

The belt will ride closer to the inner edge of the cam pulleys. The belt is aligned by both the crank sprocket and the tensioner pulleys. Consider this normal operation.

As far as fuel economy goes, i assume the car is spfi? (what year and model please) What is your distributor timing set to? The green test plugs should be plugged in to set initial (static timing), and unplugged for normal operation (dynamic timing)

yeah it is spfi - 93 loyale, 5mt 4wd. I haven't done anything with the distributor timing but have watched the AOSM #09 out of interest. no test plugs are plugged in. CEL on (I'll let you know on the codes as soon as it gets dark out. Thanks again for the videos.