Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine Work with Pics

engine EJ25D

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

Hi everyone, my Forester decided to let loose a piston pin retainer; found it in oil pan. So, I have to open the engine for inspection cuz it was knocking pretty bad. Didn't see any metal shavings or particles in oil so that's a good sign, but still I want to make sure nothing broke. Anyways, I'm posting pictures of the job, so if anyone needs an specific image of anything let me know.

#2 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

And its out, a little bit of cleaning and then to open it up.

Attached Files

#3 zedhead

zedhead

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Duluth

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Lets hope that the wrist pin didn't score/ ruin the liner!

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Have 8 + cores if need parts

#5 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

I may be needing the camshafts, one of them is scored pretty badly, or if you can advice me into a head swap or something else I would really appreciate it. The core seems to be ok, as I said no metal particles in oil, but I ran into a stubborn cam retainer screw and the damn thing just won't come off, its already damaged so I guess I'll just grind it out. Once I can open it up I'll be able to tell if the cylinder wall is damaged, hopefully it can be honed out. Please any help will do, my baby girl will be born soon and I need this car running. Thanks in advance...

#6 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

I use those reverse gripers from sears or snap on on those bolts when heads are striped like that or grind it off and vise grips. Make a parts list check it twice goto find Subaru parts for the best price ho ho ho !

#7 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

Good news I went to the local Subaru dealer and spoke to a technician there, he instructed me to machine the mating surface of the cams and cylinder head to remove the groove marks. I hope this works, he also advice in changing the crankshaft bearings to be sure.

#8 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

More pics coming soon

Attached Files

Edited by okamikai, 22 December 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#9 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

As a rule the crank berrings will look exactly the same as cam berrings

#10 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

Lets hope that the wrist pin didn't score/ ruin the liner!

It did, I will post the picture as soon as possible

#11 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:17 AM

getting ready for opening

Attached Files

#12 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

and it opens

Attached Files

#13 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

And it scored! ... I was really lucky that the wrist pin did not reach the access hole, but I'm pretty sure it tried.

Attached Files

#14 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:38 AM

the crankshaft bearings looked pretty bad although its been over 6 years since I did the engine work, I used ACL Race Series Bearings and I must say they have endured hell under my driving conditions, but besides the bearings everything else looks pretty good.

Attached Files

#15 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

Have 8 + cores if need parts

If you saw the picture the score mark is pretty bad, I was doing some research and it happens that the ej251 block can be used to replace the 25d's block, and still use the 25d camheads, my question to you is, how true is this, and do you have either 251 or 25d cores, and for how much will you sell them? I mainly need the cylinder halves of the 25d, but I'm interested in making the 251 with the 25d camheads. Let me know what you think... 

#16 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Here's a pic of the score markings on the mating surface of the camhead, I was told in the dealer the this damage was caused by mixing oil types, turns out I was using the wrong oil from the beginning, and there was some dirt particles in the engine that worked their magic as well.

Attached Files

Edited by okamikai, 05 January 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#17 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 7,894 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

You need a new head. No easy way to repair that. Have to re-bore the head to get a new bearing surface, then have to build up the bearings on the cams and machine them back to the correct size. Much easier to just get a new head.

That type of damage is from dirt or metal shavings getting into the oil gallery that feeds the cam shaft. Probably got in there when you put the head gaskets on last. Could have also worked its way to there from the oil pump, or through the bypass valve in the oil filter.

#18 rverdoold

rverdoold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Here's a pic of the score markings on the mating surface of the camhead, I was told in the dealer the this damage was caused by mixing oil types, turns out I was using the wrong oil from the beginning, and there was some dirt particles in the engine that worked their magic as well.

Could you tell what oil you have been using? Just curious.

#19 ocei77

ocei77

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Monticello,NY

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Yes, you can use 251 block with an ej25d head, but your problem seems not to be with the block, but the head.

Would be easier to find someone parting out a Suby with the right  heads and buy them, as long as they don't have bent valves.

Shipping heads from Canada to PR would kill you.

O.

#20 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Could you tell what oil you have been using? Just curious.

i was using 5w30, but I used 10w30 on the last 8 oil changes, that may have been it, also I used an oil treatment and let it run for too long in the engine, that may have been the problem, but i was told at the dealer to stick to 5w30

#21 okamikai

okamikai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Yes, you can use 251 block with an ej25d head, but your problem seems not to be with the block, but the head.
Would be easier to find someone parting out a Suby with the right  heads and buy them, as long as they don't have bent valves.
Shipping heads from Canada to PR would kill you.

O.

the block cylinder wall has a pretty bad scoring mark due to the wrist pin coming off and it has already been bored to .020 (100mm) I was told that something could be done with it, but I'm not sure about it, I would like to weight my options...

#22 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

I just scraped two ej 2.5 ds one was .25 over other stock bore and have 3 more blocks The 2.51 block I rebuild all they are still worth good bucks and in high demand but the 2.5ds are less in demand sell you a block for 100 + shiping

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, EJ25D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users