Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Erratic starting related to a/t shifter?

05 Automatic OB

Recently and with increasing frequency the car won't start until I move the a/t selector.

Initially it just required a side to side jiggle but today I seemed to have to do everything but take it out on the dance floor to get it going.

Don't want the wife to get stuck with this.

Is there something adjustable?

When it happens try shifting to neutral and see if it works.  The Park position is then faulty.

Actually, yesterday after trying everything else, I did move the selector to neutral and it started.

Whether it was a coincidence or not (having jiggled every which way first),  I will determine at the next occurrence.

If it is the "Park position" that is faulty, what does a repair entail?

I will give 2 suggestions:

1. the park or neutral safety switch in the shifter console may be sticky from spilled coffee, drinks, armor-all, etc.

2. perhaps the starter itself is due for attention.

the next time it acts up, take a piece of wire and jumper the starter solenoid to the battery. If you still get a no-start, or click, suspect the starter solenoid. If it starts with the wire but continues to fail with the key, suspect the park/neutral switch

Does it click at all when this happens? A click from under the hood means the starter solenoid is engaging (getting power from the ignition switch) but is not delivering power to the starter motor.

Park Nuetral safety switch is on the side of the trans.

Next time it won't start put a test light or voltmeter on the small terminal on the starter and turn the key. The light should light, or you should see close to battery voltage, and if so, the problem is with the starter. Probably worn contacts.