Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

carburetor problem

carburetor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 used car

used car

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • jerseyville,il.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

!987 subaru gl wont idle. Mechanic said primary jet clogged and needs rebuilt and he doesn't do that kind of work.Is there some fuel cleaner or something else that can be done. Need help! How about you Gloyale. Thanks

#2 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Put a Weber on.

THAT WILL FIX IT!

#3 Tremmor

Tremmor

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Finland

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

You can try to remove crap with carb cleaner, remove air filter and hose it inside carb lines, let it kick in for some time and start engine and spray and blipp throttle and keep going and hope for the best. (Refer to cleaner instructions.)  That helped me a bit but if there is more crap it needs to be opened to clean passages.

In link theres pic of my -87 Loyales carb right hand barrel, low right passage was packed with crust, I suppose it might be fine oily sawdust or such and i have no idea what that passage was for but I know that kinda stuff doesn't help carb running :)

http://oi41.tinypic.com/4t2b1k.jpg

#4 rrgrr

rrgrr

New User

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Bloomington

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

The rebuild kit is easy. Just make sure all your lines/hoses go back where they came from and are in good shape. Remove every jet and spray clear with carb cleaner, blow it thru the ports, too. Keep it clean. 

#5 Tremmor

Tremmor

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Finland

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

If you are gonna rebuild it you might want to use screwdrivers that fit properly in jets or you can strip the soft brass heads with ease. Penetrating oil and heat should help.

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,517 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

The rebuild kit is easy. Just make sure all your lines/hoses go back where they came from and are in good shape. Remove every jet and spray clear with carb cleaner, blow it thru the ports, too. Keep it clean. 

+1

I guess someday I will have to make a video of the rebuild process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users