Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi from Dubai - new WRX-STI owner with a problem!

Hi All

Unfortunately I am a very unhappy Subaru owner after only 2000km!  My brand new WRX STI has a crankshaft bearing problem after only 2000 km!

It's literally just had it's run in service and the bearing has gone!

I'm here to find out whether this has happened to anyone else and whether I should be just accepting a repair under warranty (which frankly just doesn't feel right!).

Thanks

Gavin

Maybe something was wrong when it was built, although unlikely it is possible. You should ask for a replacement short block at the least and not just a rebuild.

Using fuel with too low of octane can damage bearings, especially with high temperature. When they take your engine apart it will be evident if there was severe detonation. I assume your fuel meets Subaru's requirements?

I know that turbo engines/ECUs meant for the Japanese market require better fuel than what we commonly get here in USA.

With the high temperatures in your country a better intercooler (front mount or air-water) will give more consistent power and better longevity. This might affect future warranty so best to ask the dealer what they think.

what year is?

I work as a tech for Subaru, and the very new models (2013 and 2014) are coming in under warranty with such problems because of too much oil consumption. 

It's not insanely frequent. But over the past three months or so, I'd say 2-3 cars have come in with that problem. 

I'm still an apprentice tech, so I don't know exact details about the fix though.

Subaru should definitely replace it free of charge. 

Seems to be a manufacturing error, unless they find evidence of detonation or other misuse. 

• Like 1