Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem with my first subaru. I'm scared HELP!

2007 Subaru legacy 2.5i

I was on my way to pick up my lunch when My check engine light came on with the cruise light flashing. I borrowed a code from a friend at work, and was throwing a p0028. Just last night I noticed my oil was way low (its been a while since I put any in just got marred started a new job and relocated it slipped my mind oops) I put in 2 qt of 5w 30 as per the manual (i know not enough but wanted to hold it over oil at gas stations is a rip off)

I deleted the code, and restarted the car and the code is gone. Took it for a tiny loop around the parking lot (will try a longer ride on my next break) Idk if it's my imagination or what but it seems after deleting the code when starting the car the revs momentarily drop almost to a stall but then go to normal...it might just be because its cold.   

Is it deff my solenoid? I haven't had a chance to check for a leak. Will look on my bake. 

Suggestions?

Please help Obi Wan...you're my only hope...

• Like 1

The idle air control solenoid/valve doesn't have anything to do with this issue.  Your vehicle is equipped with a CVVT engine (Continuously Variable Valve Timing) which is designed to both enhance performance and efficiency.  Most of these systems utilize a combination of electronic control and the engines oil to help vary the engines timing to meet the computers demands.  

When your engine oil gets low, too old, sludged up, or even is the wrong weight it can effect the CVVT systems functionality.  I would recommend making sure the engine oil is full… Drive it for one tank of fuel and check the oil again.  If the engine oil is getting VERY dark very quickly change the oil and the filter.  The oil will darken and discolor naturally, but if it's turning black quickly you may have some build up that just needs to be worked out.  

Ultimately though… Keep an eye on that oil level and you'll be fine ;)

The almost stall after a reset is normal as well. Just changed an o2 sensor on my mom's 04 and deleted the code. First start it died completely.

Yeah… the computer has to go through a "relearn" sequence whenever you clear the computer.