Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 LEgacy 2.5 SOHC: TB, WP, seals; Book Time?

I have a guy who has been trying to get me to replace his timing belt (100,000 mi service) and i am trying to get a figure on book time for the operation so i can give him a proper quote at my labor rate.

I have a habit of selling myself short being an enthusiast, but this time is an opportunity to make some income, while giving the guy a better rate (and better quality) than shop or dealer rate.

I suggested the following:

Timing belt and idlers (gates or subaru)

water pump (oem/made in japan)

cam seals

oil pump/crank seal.

I intend to pull the radiator, but i am not worried about book time for that (since i am opening the cooling system anyway)

I estimate parts will be about $450 including fluids, hoses. I don't want to sell myself short, or sticker shock the guy. I will be working in the alley out of my garage, but he acknowledges my experience and expertise.

I have done this kind of thing more for fun than for pay, so this is why I'm asking those of you who do this work for customers/friends out of your own garage/shop.

I used to manage a shop back home (Idaho) and this is what I did as the service manager.  It's difficult to nail it down in comparison to the other shops in most areas because they will charge book time plus a percentage to help allow some wiggle room.  So if a shop quoted a job that called for 1 hour they may actually quote the price for the job at 1.2 hours.  

The job you are looking to do should be roughly 4 hours book time for the timing belt… You can include the time for the idlers and tensioners if you want in this time but I would recommend adding .1 to .2 hours per seal you replace.  Add .3 hours to the job for replacement of the water pump.  Also… the book time for replacing the timing belt kit would include the time for removing the radiator first.  So… if you wanted to shave some time off for that you could.  

If I were doing this for a friend of a friend or even a potential back yard customer.  I would simply charge 3 hours and bust it out in 2.5.  Leaving me .5 hours paid to enjoy my beer  ;)

My county library subscribes to a database (Auto Repair Reference Center) with book times, wiring diagrams, etc. I can log onto it from home. You might want to check  your library.

my local library is a hole in the ground right now, under construction.

MY labor rate at $40 x 4 hours is close to $250 suggested by others. I suppose my rate could be worth more. I will give myself 8 hours total for the price to do the work. I am more concerned with parts costing more than what i would do the work for. 

I do intend to pull the radiator, and of course, run the engine till the thermostat opens and fans come on the be certain of clearing air lock.

Still being worth a few bucks, i am still enthusiastic about getting my hands dirty on different models and generations of subaru, for experience. Perhaps i can make a video of it as an incentive (to demonstrate the work with motor-in-car). I will have the car for a week to perform the work, so i can afford to take my time. Thanks for the input

Edited by MilesFox
  • Like 1