Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stupid question about battery cable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

I had been planning for a long time to switch my battery terminals over to marine terminals because of some accessories I will be adding later on and at the same time I was going to buy new 4 gauge wire to replace the aged wire on the car, anyways on the starter end you have that little push connection I assume it merges at some point to the (+) cable?

Another thing is the stud for the 12V to the starter it should fit a 3/8" lug right? I don't have a starter in front of me but it seems like it will.

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

The small wire on the Starter is from the ignition switch.

Yes a 3/8 lug will fit the starter.  

#3 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

The small wire on the Starter is from the ignition switch.

Yes a 3/8 lug will fit the starter.  

Ok thanks, was not sure because of the wire wrap around the wire

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

the small wire on the starter is part of the overall body harness. It comes form a relay originating from the ign switch, which originates from the fuse panel, which originates from the fusible links, which originate from the battery terminal. I love marine terminals and install the brass ones any time i have to screw with the battery

Edited by MilesFox, 20 December 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#5 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

the small wire is part of the overall body harness. It comes form a relay originating from the ign switch, which originates from the fuse panel, which originates from the fusible links, which originate from the battery terminal. I love marine terminals and install the brass ones any time i have to screw with the battery

Yeah the marine terminals are going to be better then the wire nest I had before, I'm going to order 20' of 4 gauge copper wielding wire.. speaking of that everyone says redoing the ground makes the car feel smoother.. Is that really true? My car never felt smoother after I lapped all the valves and checked the clearance.

Edited by 1-3-2-4, 19 December 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

i have a battery cable to make too, thanks for sharing and keep it up. 

i'm slightly unsure what all it entails....positive, negative, ends/terminals, etc.

#7 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

I've had my terminals sitting on my desk for almost two years now so I'm tired of looking at them lol

plus I think I will get a hydraulic crimper tomorrow so that's why I asked.

#8 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

I would run a ground cable from the head or intake to the battery terminal and run a fatter ground cable to the body. Thinking about it more, i suppose you could ground from the intake to the lug on the bellhousing bolt. The intake harness grounds to one of the intake bolts. Run the ground from there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users