Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doors lock and unlock at random 97 Legacy Outback

Just got a legacy on the cheap and was feeling pretty proud of myself for rebuilding the motor. Drove it from chico to the bay and the doors began to lock and unlock themselves at random.. Any suggestions as to a fix? Still new to these cars and would be happy to provide any info I can... Its a 97 with a ej25. Has stock alarm with the key-fob with four buttons. East coast car so alot of the grounds have corrosion. 

1.  the switch itself can go bad.  unplug the drivers (and passengers?) side switches and see if that cures it.  if it does then it's the switch.

2.  the door lock timers on this particular year/model is prone to issues.  search for the thread with "timer"

here's a detailed thread about the door lock timer.  user 1-3-2-4 has good experience getting to it and pictures posted in one thread - maybe this one but i didn't look as im' on limited internet at the moment:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/109378-door-lock-timer-location-95-legacy/?hl=timer

1.  the switch itself can go bad.  unplug the drivers (and passengers?) side switches and see if that cures it.  if it does then it's the switch.

2.  the door lock timers on this particular year/model is prone to issues.  search for the thread with "timer"

here's a detailed thread about the door lock timer.  user 1-3-2-4 has good experience getting to it and pictures posted in one thread - maybe this one but i didn't look as im' on limited internet at the moment:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/109378-door-lock-timer-location-95-legacy/?hl=timer

#2 gave me issues on my '95 Outback.. it was a WTF moment.. I ended up finding the lock timer by pounding on the dash on that model.. never knew what the issue was but swapping out the door lock timer did the trick.

I left the key fob home and thought that fixed the problem but  the locks started going berserk again today.  The car starts and runs great, but there is a poltergeist in the locks... Saw the info about the lock timer... Is mine in the same location? Mine is a 97 outback. Tomorrow i will disconnect both lock switches... might be the passenger side cause my mom was messin with it just before they went crazy. She thinks its hilarious.. Me not so much.

Disconnected both switches and still had the problem. Disconnected the door lock timer and the problem stopped, but it looks like the timer had already been replaced with a generic unit.... which means something else is causing the timer to go bad? Or just a cheap unit? will replace with another and see if that is my fix. thank you all for your input.