Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I purchased a certified pre-owned Subaru Impreza with 40,000 miles a month ago. I've only put 500 miles on it and just noticed that it seems like it hunts for gears at times and there is a distinct, but very quiet, whining coming from the front dif area.

It is my understanding that Subaru's manufacturer warranty transfers automatically? I also believe the front dif should be covered by the powertrain warranty, which I should still be covered by?

Looks like the previous owner may have had an issue with this as in digging through the glove box and owners manual I found he had folded up two (unmarked/un-filled) appeal forms and an envelope pre-addressed to Subaru of America. 

I work odd hours and am basically chained to my desk until late this evening, after my dealer closes. (I did already call them and notify them that I am having a problem, which may have been a mistake as I won't be able to bring the vehicle in today..... :X) I'm thinking I will drop the car off the day after Christmas since they are closed Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Is this okay for me to wait on, from a warranty standpoint? I'm not really that worried about the dif, it's a very faint whine but I'd rather nip it in the bud.

I also have a service contract that I purchased through the dealer, so don't want to mess anything up with that either. Not sure if waiting to bring the car in voids anything?

Any input is appreciated! I've always bought super old Subies in the past so I've never had a warranty!

Most CPO warrantys extend the original powertrain warranty for about a year. Powertrain typically covers engine, transmission, and differentials. You should have documentation of what is covered in the Subaru CPO warranty with the warranty information you (should have) recieved when purchasing the car.

I would definitely push the issue here. Old differentials whine and can do so for tens of thousands of miles with no problems. A diff whining with only 40k on it could be premature wear due to incorrect assembly at the factory.

Yeah, I'm definitely concerned about the dif whining so early. It is really really faint at this moment though - I almost thought I was fooling myself into thinking I was hearing something. It's definitely there, though. :( 

Do you foresee any issues w.r.t. the warranty/service contract given that I called today but will be dropping the car off on Thursday? :/ 

ETA: I will not be driving the car over Christmas. I'll just be driving it home tonight and then back to this area on Thurs, dropping it off at the dealer and picking up a rental at that point in time. 

Edited by sashaeva