Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale (4x4 issues)

Alright, So we had a winter storm blow thru with some snow. I drove the loyale and ended up using my 4 wheel drive a bit here and there to rally around the cityiots. I had not used the 4x4 for a while but it was working great before with no issues. The 4x4 seems to be working BUT... I seem to have two issues now that are related.

1. Now when driving in FWD I can hear a whine in the rear end. It sounds like gear noise for sure, or maybe bearings. BUT... When I engage the 4x4 - the whine goes away instantly and all is quite. This is repeatable, the noise is now constant in FWD, and subsides when engaged in 4x4.

2. Also, when I engage the 4x4 I get some serous gear grinding at the transaxle before it engages. This is repeatable and does it every time I push the button.

I have not had the car off the ground or done any testing yet. Only thing I have done to the 4x4 system was to replace the drive shaft due to failed U joints. But the system had ran fine for 25,000 miles after that. It wasn't until not using the 4x4 for a year or so and then using it recently that this issue has come up. Any ideas where to start?

I was able to get under the loyale today. Just as you guessed, I found that one of the rear axle shafts had completely failed. I had a slightly difficult time removing it. The tapered spring pins came out easy enough but the axle was so damaged on the outer side that I could not get enough play to pull the couplers off the splines. I had to pull the lower shock mount and push down on the control arm to get a more severe angle so the damaged shaft could pop out of the CV. Then I could pull both the splined couplers off the diff and wheel stub axle. Napa has a refurbed shaft coming that should be here in the morning. $83 + tax with exchange.

I will report in after I swap in the new axle. But I expect it will solve the issue with the 4x4.

Ted.

I picked up the aftermarket replacment axle from napa.  The new axle does not have the flanges on the ends that cover and protect the diff / wheel bearings.  Is this common for the aftermarket axles? Have you guys done anything to try and seal them up?

The dust cover on the diff side looked like it could possibly be removed, but the dust cover on the wheel side was part of the axle itself and could not be removed. I left the old axle at napa to avoid the $50 core charge. 

Nah.....they both just pop off.  2 different sizes though.

That's why the remans don't have them though....cause they pop off when they clean the cups.

Went back to napa. Popped off the baffle plate end caps. They were seized on pretty good. Fitting the aftermarket axle was a pain. Even with the strut disconnected and the control arm pushed ad low as I could get it I barely was able to engage the axle onto the outer spline. But I got it and it's done now. Went for a 40 mile drive. All is good. 4x4 works as it should.