Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok so why do i want a spider intake?

now supposing i stumbled across one in a junkyard..

what exactly are the benifits besides looks to adding one to my turbowagon

or as i thought about it maybe just using the injector mounts/cooling runners and fabbing up my own top end for it .. with a bigger throttle body

the spider makes it easy (possible) to use a top mount intercooler as well,

and they look cool !!

If you get it, take everything with it, water pipe, manifold, injector blocks, harness, hard pipe mess etc. nothing worse than ending up with 3/4 of a spider

garner

Does it have an AC bracket? I am currectly looking for an AC bracket from a NA or Turbo spider for the Matsusheta (smaller square looking A/C compressor). If you decide to not buy the spider and it has the AC bracket or if you decide to buy the spider and you do not need the A/C bracket, then please let me know.

If it is a spider turbo and your turbo wagon is an 87 or newer (uses MAF), then the spider intake is an easy swap and the wiring harness should connect with your car (double check to be sure). You will need the pitching stopper and bracket (there are two kinds so you will have to get the one that works with your tranny), also the water pump timing mark plate is helpful, grab the cooling pipe that goes from the waterpump to the heater core, the PCV hoses, and all the brackets for A/C and the alternator.

If your turbo wagon is an 85-86, then prepare to do some rewiring in addition.

If the spider is a NA, then it gets really tough because in addition to the above, you have to figure out how your are going to get coolant to the turbo and swap all injectors, idle switch, and maybe some other sensors.

well .. i did get all of it

i was under the impression teh turbo cooling lines came from the head not the manifold

eitehr way no big deal

re wiring.. hell thats easy

it was a 88 na xt

i was actually looking for something like a numbers based improvement over teh stock setup

the ac bracket is still on the xt and it was a huge ac compressor

it will go on a 87 turbo wagon "mule test car" untill my do it yerself extended cab brat is finished

one cooling line (return) goes to the underside of the pass side head. The coolant in comes from the water pipe. There is a flat spot just right of the thermostat housing that can easily be drilled and taped for a hose barb fitting. You will also have to do away with the egr system as the spider has no provision for it.

The wiring on mine was basically a matter of swapping connectors, to get the engine harness to connect to the main harness. Pretty easy, most wire colors even matched up but double check.