Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello from Alaska, We just moved here and bought a friends 95 Legacy.  It's in great shape though has a few non engine issues.  The rubber door seals are hanging down from the little plastic pins on both the passenger and drivers doors.  It looks as if the seals are still ok but they have torn in a few of the spots where they connect to the pins.  The seals are about $120 each so i'd rather not have to buy them.  Anyone have any experience with hooking these back up and with rubber repair?  Thanks 

Depending on if they are ripped out or not, you can re-hook them onto the plastic nubs. Sometimes the rubber is split out, or the nubs are broken.

You can use 3M super weather adhesive to glue the rubber back on, using the pegs to keep the alignment correct. be sure to prep the surfaces with acetone or similar solvent.

Great!  yeah a couple of them are split out but i think with the adhesive it should work just fine.  i bought some new nubs to replace any of the ones which may be broken.  

Another 2 questions:

1.  The passenger side door lock does not work.  i can hold the handle and close the door and it locks but the key will not open the door.  Is there something i can do to repair this or do i need to get the lock mechanism replaced?

2.  The back hatch will not open.  i've tried to wd40 the handle and the key mechanism but nothing works.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help...

The passenger side lock cylinder is probably stuck from lack of use. You might be able to jangle the key around to get the tumblers to free up and allow it ti turn. Try graphite powder or wd 40. once it is working use graphite powder to maintain.

For the gate you will want to remove the interior panel to get at the mechanisms. possibly could be locked. the handle linkage is tunable. inspect for broken clips that retain the rods to the latch or lock

is the electric locks working?

my 95 legacy and 94 legacy both did this: Doors are locked all the way around, unlock driver door with key, the rest of the car remains locked. Then lock the car from inside, then unlock it with the lock handle, and then it unlocks the rest of the car. try this to get the trunk unlocked

Hi Miles,

No, the electric locks are not working.  What is the lock handle?  There isn't a button inside for the door locks on the driver side other than a lock mechanism to allow/disallow use of the power windows. So, i'm not sure how to proceed with your suggestion above, ie, "unlock driver door with key, the rest of the car remains locked. Then lock the car from inside, then unlock it with the lock handle, and then it unlocks the rest of the car."

i have used wd40 in the passenger side lock cylinder and try to work it free every day, so far no luck.  

Somehow the trunk opened up.  However i wasn't able to lock it again so i opened up the small opening on the interior panel which allows access to the key mechanism.  i was able to manually move the bar (handle linkage?) which is attached to the gate latch and lock it again.  When i place the key into the gate it will not move either way.

That's all i got, thanks again!