Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intermittent rough idle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 provin1327

provin1327

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

1996 Impreza Outback, 2.2: 5 speed has developed an intermittent rough idle. I noticed it when I came back from a highway drive. It only happens at idle, it takes off fine and runs fine, no check engine codes either. I replaced the fuel filter, put some seafoam in the vac line as well as a gas tank because I am thinking it may be a dirty air idle controller or a dirty injector. What confuses me is that it doesn't always run rough. Sometimes it runs perfectly smooth at idle, warm or cold, then 5 minutes later it will start to run a little rough. Not a misfire but a sort of out of balance engine feeling in my seat if that makes sense.

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

I see nothing about starting off with a tune-up. Wires, plugs, PCV valve.

How many miles?

I am going to assume no CEL, so at this age yes it can be a tired

idle air motor.

#3 provin1327

provin1327

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

Looks like the previous owner just did a tune up, wires look new. I'll pull a plug tomorrow to see. It has 185,000 miles, didn't check the pcv vavle

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

On subaru engines it is amazing what the PCV valve can do when it is clogged.

#5 provin1327

provin1327

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Idle was smoother this morning so maybe the seafoam helped, it still feels a little rough but not as sporatic. Didn't realize the pcv was only 6$ lol, ill change it and report back

#6 provin1327

provin1327

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

So after my last post the rough idle came back, but it looks like the PCV valve replacement has fixed it. That or it was a combo of the PCV, new fuel fitlter, and Seafoam that fixed it hah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users