Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JDM EJ25 in 1999 Outback (best path for EGR)

Hi all... I'm looking for my best path.  Here's my situation:

I have a JDM EJ25 without EGR.  It came with AT and many accessories.  (no JDM ECU though)

I'm trying to put it in a 1999 Outback Wagon.  Due to some engine swapping previously, I do not have the original EJ25D or intake manifold.

My state does not do smog tests.

I could live with the engine light on, but prefer it being off.

--------------

Option #1 - Get EJ25 intake manifold used with EGR stuff, $$$.  Drill EGR port, being careful.  This should make everything legit?  No codes?  Runs right, good mileage?

Option #2 - Get EGR stuff (what do I need?) and tuck it under the manifold.  I read that this is enough to make the ECU happy and not throw codes?  Good mileage?

Option #3 - Do nothing, don't buy or hook up any EGR.  ECU throws codes.  Would mileage suffer?  Would it run right?

There are lots of threads, but can't see one that addresses these options.  My main concern is making it run right.  Second concern is not spending more money.  Third, codes / engine light.

Thanks for any ideas.

to get rid of the code you will need the intake with EGR.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/137829-using-a-non-egr-engine-in-subaru-with-egr-exhaust-gas-recirculation-valve/

''search'' is your friend.

I guess I should have also stated that I searched a lot before posting - that is where I came up with my 3 proposed options.  I previously read that link at least 4 times.  :)

As I stated, I'm not concerned about the code...  just running good and mileage.  Does the ECU retard spark or do anything detrimental to compensate for thinking the EGR is wonky?

As far as "driving around with a CEL" -- I'll have an ELM327 on the OBD2 and an Android display on there quite often.

there's a simple work around, JCE probably linked to it.

in the end if you leave the code and ignore it - it is completely benign and has no effect.

Sounds good, I want to make sure I understand the simple work around.  Is it just not attaching anything to the harness, since I don't have anything to attach?  Or can you post a link?