Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt.. What am I doing wrong!

Hi all, love the forum!

Ok so heres the story.. Ive been giving my Suburu Liberty 1996 GX 2.2LT series II a makeover over the last few months, as it was in pretty bad shape.. ive been replacing everything as i go, and enjoying it actually!

I replaced the timing belt about 2 weeks ago, and put everything back together, as per the manual, and she was running like a dream, infact running better than when i bought it.. I did notice a leak in the water pump so today ive pulled everything off, replaced the water pump, put everything back on, and it wont start.. Ive gone back in and taken everything off and again, no luck..

What on earth could I be doing wrong, Ive done everything exactly the same as the first time!! 

Help me please!!

Cheers

Howie

Ok so I've stuffed up the compression stroke, adjusted that, lined the notches up perfect..

It's idling great.. However it has a slight backfire (more of a small splutter) when shifting down gears.. I don't ever remember it doing this, then again last time I drove it it was in a bad state lol

Is this normal, or am

I out still???

Ok so I've stuffed up the compression stroke, adjusted that, lined the notches up perfect..

It's idling great.. However it has a slight backfire (more of a small splutter) when shifting down gears.. I don't ever remember it doing this, then again last time I drove it it was in a bad state lol

Is this normal, or am

I out still??? It actually sounds really good, lol, but it just doesn't sound normal???