Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2006 Tribeca Backup Fuse keeps blowing...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JKinPA

JKinPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cresco, PA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

I have a 2006 Tribeca and the backup fuse keeps blowing...It's happened three times now, the last two times in so many days.  When it blows we loose the interior lights, radio, display screen garage door opener etc...

Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen?  Could it have anything to do with the drivers seat?

Thank you!

Joe

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,516 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Do you mean "backup" like the reverse light circuit?

Or "backup" like key off battery 12v+ backup?

What size fuse and which # on the fuse board?

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I am going to assume it is the reverse lights. Are the lights located in the tailgate? If so see if the harness is chaffed that goes from the body to the tailgate.

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

Here is some reference that may help you.

http://forums.nasioc...ght=backup fuse

#5 JKinPA

JKinPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cresco, PA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Do you mean "backup" like the reverse light circuit?

Or "backup" like key off battery 12v+ backup?  I believe it is this circuit since the reverse lights are working just fine.

What size fuse and which # on the fuse board? It is a 20A fuse and it is not numbered it is under the hood labeled "BACKUP".

Thank you!

Joe

#6 JKinPA

JKinPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cresco, PA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

I am going to assume it is the reverse lights. Are the lights located in the tailgate? If so see if the harness is chaffed that goes from the body to the tailgate.

Nope not the reverse lights they are working just fine.  This is a 20A fuse under the hood labeled "BACKUP"

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

If your model is similair to the WRX model refered to in the link I provided I suggest you try removing the differential control relay to see if that makes a difference. As the drawing shows, there is also a direct power connection to the module which could be shorted.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,516 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

If your model is similair to the WRX model refered to in the link I provided I suggest you try removing the differential control relay to see if that makes a difference. As the drawing shows, there is also a direct power connection to the module which could be shorted.

Tribeca wouldn't be a DCCD trans.

Would be either 4eat or 5eat.

Any chance you've added any accesories?  Aftermarket radio? Amp? CB? DVD/Nav system?  Garage door opener?  is that a Factory option?

#9 JKinPA

JKinPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cresco, PA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

Tribeca wouldn't be a DCCD trans.

Would be either 4eat or 5eat.

Any chance you've added any accesories?  Aftermarket radio? Amp? CB? DVD/Nav system?  Garage door opener?  is that a Factory option?

Hi,

Yes it is a 5eat with the sport shift trans.  No aftermarket anything all factory.  It is the LTD so it has the garage door opener in the visor, the guidance system, DVD player for the kids etc but it is all factory.

Thank you !!!!

Joe

#10 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,516 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Not that familiar with tribecas.

But could you access the connectors for the radio? DVD? Garage opener? 

If you can disconnect things on the circuit, then install a fuse and reconnect them one at a time til it blows you'll know which device it is.

#11 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

On sb9t, someone reported a similar problem and was indeed convinced it had to do with the seat. However, I am having hard time finding evidence of that on the wiring diagram. Neither power adjustment nor heater system is powered through that 20 A fuse. 

Edited by avk, 02 January 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#12 JKinPA

JKinPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cresco, PA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

On sb9t, someone reported a similar problem and was indeed convinced it had to do with the seat. However, I am having hard time finding evidence of that on the wiring diagram. Neither power adjustment nor heater system is powered through that 20 A fuse. 

Neither could I...I was wondering if it is possible that a harness that is running under the seat has possibly chaffed.  In that harness is a wire that goes back to the 20A BACKUP fuse and it is shorting out due to incidental movement in the seat...

It's been too cold here for me to be crawling around on the ground to look...

It did happen to my friend while the seat was moving but I am wondering too if that is more of a coincidence than possible cause...Frustrating!

Thank you so much for your efforts!!!!!

Joe

#13 Dave804

Dave804

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Chesterfield, Va

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

A rudimentary, but effective, way to test would be pulling those components one at a time and see if any of them stop the blowing- then you'd have your shorted branch to chase. 

#14 JKinPA

JKinPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cresco, PA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

A rudimentary, but effective, way to test would be pulling those components one at a time and see if any of them stop the blowing- then you'd have your shorted branch to chase. 

True, but we have had the thing take months before it blew so I don't know how advantageous that would be...Plus getting behind the console is a PITB...I may have to resort to it though...

#15 Dave804

Dave804

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Chesterfield, Va

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

That's a pretty big time between blows. Has to be some correlation. Like you said, is a non-regular driver moving the seat? 

#16 JKinPA

JKinPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cresco, PA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Most recently yes...Once the temp gets above freezing I'll take a closer look! LOL

#17 Dave804

Dave804

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Chesterfield, Va

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

I think you're found your area. Just be glad the power (I'm assuming) seats still work. I'd rather go through a divorce than try to remove dead power seats with a drill battery again hahaha. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users