Ultimate Subaru Message Board

possible electrical issue

Hello to everyone who is taking the time to read this. 

I have a 92 loyale non-4x4 automatic with 125k. 

The other day i replaced both of my battery terminals and is when this issue started, may be just a coincidence. Anyway the Neg(black) terminal was straight forward but the positive(red) had 2 cables attached to the old terminal , one large and one smaller but they were both plugged into the old terminal and im not sure if they were touching but it didnt look like they were on the terminal. Anyhow what i tried to do was add a clip on the smaller wire (pos) and attached it to the new terminal but not directly connected with the thicker wire. It started up just fine, then would crank but no start. I never had this issue before. So i tried connecting both the smaller and big wire together and it fired right up, problem solved ? Nope, 2 days later would crank but no start and then out of nowhere start right up and its been doing this for the past week until last night i was stranded at a walgreens because no matter what i did it wouldnt start, crank but no start. After messing with the terminals i decided to giggle the wire to the injector and it started , im really wondering if that was a coincidence and i dont want to get stranded again. Could this be the ignition coil? Fuses are all good.  I also noticed that it gets bogged down when i press on the gas but i also have a pretty big leak from my catalytic converter.

I replaced spark plugs, fuel filter/pump,dist cap/rotor/wires, battery and most of my throttle body(out of junk yard) about a month ago and it was running great. Any suggestions? I will clear codes and check them as well.

Matt 

I probably should have mentioned that yesterday i also heard a clicking sound and it changed with idle, so i would hear 1 click and the engine would rev a little higher, than a 2nd click and it would go down. Like a click on and click off. 

matt

hi,

there is a solinoid that raises the idle speed for when the a/c compressor comes on,, since the compressor is also tied in with the defrost mode it might have been engaging that and causing the idle to go up ,  then down ,  just a guess.   

I probably should have mentioned that yesterday i also heard a clicking sound and it changed with idle, so i would hear 1 click and the engine would rev a little higher, than a 2nd click and it would go down. Like a click on and click off. 

matt

Unplug the diagnostic connectors behind the drivers side strut tower.  Green and White pairs...they are supposed to be disconnected except for code retrieval and setting Distributor Spark Timing