Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjustable Struts Available BRAND NEW! SACHS

GOD BLESS US EVERYONE!!!!  IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!

I love my girlfriend so much.  She knows just what makes my heart beat.

I guess I'm being dramatic.....but this is the happiest I've been opening a christmas gift since my first bike when I was 5 years old.

Anyhow.....Here's the details....Puchased through Autozone.  Sachs part # 031-168

Must look them up for either 85/86 4wd wagon w/vin 5 carbed engine.

IMG_0688_zpsa6bce8e4.jpg

IMG_0692_zps535c3f48.jpg

IMG_0690_zpsd7f2b641.jpg

Tiny Tim won't need those crutches anymore!

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 4

Where....did....she...find...those......  :blink:

I see, should've slowed down while glancing through the post the first time :D

Pricey.

She paid $98 per side.

$100 bucks per strut is not really outlandish pricing.......you can easily pay that for a good set of EJ struts for Outback/WRX/Forrester.

Honestly...I'd pay $150 with how bad my current struts on the car are.....and they were factory replacements installed in 1996!

great!

EA82, right?

how do they work exactly - use stock springs? 

and then you can adjust them on the fly without jacking the car up?

Yup....These are EA82

They make an EA81 version.  Gabriel also offers an adjustable option strut for EA81....but not for EA82.

I need them as my car has big tires tucked just right.....If I use the "one size fit's all" KYB strut offered......I'd be rubbing......so I need the true 4wd height strut.  The non-adjustable Sachs strut listed for 87+ EA82 could work too.....but for the same price I'll take the adjustables.

Are they the same for both sides?

In the description they say they are not adjustable lol.

No the EA82 ones the perch is offset so they are specific to each side.

You must have looked up wrong year if they say non-adjustable.  Look up for an 86 with 2bbl carb vin 5.

Here.  Look for the 4wd ones.

Left: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Sachs-Shock-Strut-Front/1986-Subaru-GL/_/N-ije30Z8oxxw?itemIdentifier=903714_816271_1759_

Right: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Sachs-Shock-Strut-Front/1986-Subaru-GL/_/N-ije30Z8oxxw?itemIdentifier=903713_816272_1759_

Looks like there is a non adjustable 4wd version too.  That's what comes up when you look for 87+

nice. I wonder if they would fit a Brat? Sachs is pretty high quality OEM for a lot of German cars

These won't but they do make a version for the brat.....adjustable, super touring.  Those the perch is centered so it's same strut for both sides.

Listed for "hatch"

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Sachs-Shock-Strut-Front/1986-Subaru-GL/_/N-ije30Z8oxxw?itemIdentifier=903701_815996_1759_

Would these give a slight lift to an 87+ that came factory without the adjustable struts?

Funny you ask.  IN addition to being able to adjust them up further....they are just longer to begin with.  A bit over an inch taller from spring perch to strut mount.

IMG_0698_zpsba26f4e7.jpg

They would give any EA82 a pretty "bump up" for sure.  Man oh man they ride really nice too.  Much better than the Gabriels we put on the front of my Girlfriends loyale.  Wish I had bought these for her.

Sach's Super Touring FTW!!!

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 2

Thanks for the links. Those say they are not adjustable either lol. But it's obvious they have it described wrong.

I see now.....in the chart......

I think they are talking about adjustable dampening....which they are not adjustable.

Adjustable spring height is a pretty unique to subaru feature I don't think they are talking about that.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

... Anyone know where to find rear shocks with the adjustable perch?   4WD Wagon  EA82.  1986 ...

Maybe those are still available at your Local Subaru Dealer?

You can see photos of those rear adjustable struts and their part number,

Also the part number for the Perch (Sold separately) in this Writeup:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

Maybe those are still available at your Local Subaru Dealer?

You can see photos of those rear adjustable struts and their part number,

Also the part number for the Perch (Sold separately) in this Writeup:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

I bought a pair of the KYB adjustable shocks last spring off amazon and then got the 3 way adjustable perches from Subaru parts warehouse. I haven't installed them and have been using some new monroes. I've actually been thinking of selling the adjustable set and had them for sale here til I saw those front to complete the setup. I did notice the overall length of the adjustable shocks was close to an inch shorter than the Monroe OEM's and the originals that came off the car.

was just talking to sachs dealer this week in Oz, shrugged shoulders at me - no listing for rears for Brumby/BRAT :(

I found KYB Gas-A-Just 4183A for my Brat. Past summer I went through the suspension, mounts and bushings. I used the Sachs for the front. The KYB are discontinued and some charge a very hefty price for them. I Googled the crap out of it until I found a seller with a pair for mid $30's US each. The white Gas-A-Just or very good shocks and high pressure gas. Try searching and you might find a decent price on a pair down under.

I have 2 sets of the OEM adjustable ones.  I have 2 cars, so they all need to be renewed.  I just need the new shock part.

IF no one still makes the shock part adjustable style...

I have a welder.  I could get new fixed ones, cut off the fixed perch, and weld on the stops from the OEM ones.  Probably submerge the shock in water while welding to minimize the hot area.

Or make some kind of spacer to raise the perch?  Have to go look at an adjustable one....