Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 lifted Brat

Bought this Brat on Sunday in Worland, Wyoming. 4/5 lift, 15 inch pugs, jump seats have been added. A little hail damage, and a bit of surface rust.

My plan:

Ej Frankenmotor swap

5 speed d/r

rear disks

possibly add power steering

Fix surface rust

paint white with black bottom

White one currently has the frankenmotor and tranny but is extremely rusty

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

Nice! I think I remember seeing this on CL. It was a great deal, from what I remember. 

The camber issue should be nothing more than the strut blocks in backwards, as suggested by others who saw it.

Nice looking bumper.

Looking forward to updates.  :popcorn:

• 10 months later...

Well i know this thread has been dead for a while, but that's all to me getting injured 7 days after starting the thread, school, and getting sick over the summer. I am however happy to say that it is up and running. Had quite a few hold ups while putting it in, including having to change the entire dash harness, but overall i am extremely happy.

So now for the list of mods as of today
Ej frankenmotor
5 speed D/R
4" lift on the cross members and 3" on suspension
15" 505 Pug Alloys
82 Brat instrument cluster
EA81 non-turbo power steering rack

Still have a lot of body work to do, but the guys next to where I work are helping me out with that and so far i am very please. But i am planning on painting it Dodge Viper SRT Pearl Blue, dynomatting the interior, putting in impreza seats, and a steel rear bumper.

I'll upload some pictures as soon as i can

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found a way to share some pics thanks to Scooner

sorry the most recent mods aren't documented as well as i would have liked but was more or less trying to just get it done

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=ZlTR697ESKFUYGxzzI2MtQ%3D%3D

In the body shop right now getting left rear quarter panel replaced, then off to paint

• 2 months later...

I was able to get it at a discounted price because if my job, but I spent $145us for 9 24x18 sheets. So I would probably say closer to $200us for you. Look on amazon for the full car dynomat pack. I got the floor and the doors with the kit

• 2 weeks later...

I used some LED trailer light turn signals from autozone (they're like $5) and welded some steel plate on to the corners and theyre wired into the factory turn signal set up. the only thing i have against them is that the car thinks that they are burned out, because of the low resistance of the LEDs, so the click really fast, they work well. I'm pleased with them. they actually got me to start converting to 100% led bumper to bumper. Just really expensive for the rest of the car.

That's basically what I think I'll end up doing. I know there are ways to get the LEDs to behave properly, but I might just use old school non-LED trailer lights. I also have the option of rigging up some OEM signals. Since I'm basically making a steel version of the factory bumper out of some channel or tubing, it might look nice to have the original lights, but cutting holes to recess them will be a pain in the butt...

• Like 1

I'd have to make them blink correctly. The quick blinking stresses me out  :rolleyes:

Mine doing it used to do that to me but i only ever had a month of properly working turn signals and I have 800W with a 10in sub so it kinda just goes away haha

Nope. Put LED signals on my '85 Brat. Was Blinking super fast, swapped it out with an electronic, all's good. Located behind the little speaker grill on the left side, pretty far back.

Can you put a link up to one. When i searched it i got was replacement relays