Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any experience with carpet kits?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1986Brat

1986Brat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Chesapeake, VA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

I'm going to replace the carpet on my 86 Brat and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with ordering carpet kits online? Most of the carpet kit reviews are bad it seems. Would it be better to just take the original carpet out and use it to cut some out from new carpet (and take original velcro and buttons off the old ones) or have any if you ordered satisfying carpet kits for these things before?
Thanks for the help with my boring questions.

#2 disom93

disom93

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Galax VA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

Wanting to know the same. Bump!

#3 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 893 posts
  • PNW

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

In my experience most of the aftermarket kits are not molded properly, if at all. For an older car say a Gen 2, perhaps find a nice factory Legacy, Honda, or ? carpet at the local wrecking yard and trim it to fit. You will probably want to take a few measurements before selecting and pulling it out. This is also a good time to clean and or dye it if needed.

Edited by Crazyeights, 01 January 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#4 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 975 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:06 AM

I just used my old carpet from my Brat as a pattern and got some carpet from my local home improvement store. Came out great, easy to do,and not a lot of $$. If you search my old posts i think i made a thread with pics about it, but it was a few years ago.

#5 92_rugby_subie

92_rugby_subie

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,990 posts
  • Hillsboro OR

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

http://www.ultimates...r-hatch-carpet/

heres his thread:

http://www.ultimates...n-with-the-new/

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,352 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

If you are making a new carpet, you will want to cut it so you can contour around the trans tunnel. etc. This will be pbvois as when you lay the carped down, it will want to fold or crease in the tight areas. Just cut the crease, overlap, trim the excess, done. You can tape the back side of the seam with carpet tape as this is hw home installed carpet is joined. 

If you are lever enough, allt he trim pieces and the holes you make for the seat rails will hold it down. 

#7 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Carpet kit that I got 7-8 years ago sucked. It was poor fitting and faded rather fast. I would like to replace it but would gladly pay twice the price for a proper fitting, decent quality carpet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users