Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any experience with carpet kits?

I'm going to replace the carpet on my 86 Brat and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with ordering carpet kits online? Most of the carpet kit reviews are bad it seems. Would it be better to just take the original carpet out and use it to cut some out from new carpet (and take original velcro and buttons off the old ones) or have any if you ordered satisfying carpet kits for these things before?

Thanks for the help with my boring questions.

In my experience most of the aftermarket kits are not molded properly, if at all. For an older car say a Gen 2, perhaps find a nice factory Legacy, Honda, or ? carpet at the local wrecking yard and trim it to fit. You will probably want to take a few measurements before selecting and pulling it out. This is also a good time to clean and or dye it if needed.

Edited by Crazyeights

I just used my old carpet from my Brat as a pattern and got some carpet from my local home improvement store. Came out great, easy to do,and not a lot of $$. If you search my old posts i think i made a thread with pics about it, but it was a few years ago.

• Like 1

If you are making a new carpet, you will want to cut it so you can contour around the trans tunnel. etc. This will be pbvois as when you lay the carped down, it will want to fold or crease in the tight areas. Just cut the crease, overlap, trim the excess, done. You can tape the back side of the seam with carpet tape as this is hw home installed carpet is joined. 

If you are lever enough, allt he trim pieces and the holes you make for the seat rails will hold it down.