Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear diff pinion seal

so i looked in the search forum and found a little bit of help on this subject but not much. i was wondering what the best way to replace the pinion seal on the rear diff off a 92 loyale . i remove the driveline from that end ans tried using a breaker bar to break the big 27 mm bolt loose while the tires were still on the ground but no luck . do i need a impact gun to remove it ?? thanks in advance for any help

maybe place a jack under a breker bar? The one time i tried to replace a pinion seal, i was unsuccessful. I went as far as trying to drive the cr so that the pinion nut would rotate gainst the breaker bar against the ground. no luck.

if you have some large flat steel of some sort - you can drill two holes in it and bolt it to the flange the driveshaft bolts to - this will then provide a lever arm to lock the diff/wheels in place so they can't turn while you're messing with that nut.

this was my only other thought . i will probably try this then . i just hope i can get the nut back to where it was when im done hah

so i ended up makking this tool to hold the diff in place while i used a breaker bar to remove th 27 mm nut

post-47481-0-99741500-1389122656_thumb.jpg

it worked but i did end up bending the tool some . i parked my car facing up hill so i wouldnt have to drain the diff fluid since its all ready new .once i removed the 27 mm nut i tapped off the coupler or whatever it is and then drilled a small pilot hole in the seal and  drilled a long wood screw a bit into it . then i pried on the seal and out i came . greased up the new seal tapped it in and tapped the coupler back on then i put lock tight on the threads and tightened it back up to where it was ( i made i mark with a chisel) . now theres no leak . thanks for the advice evryone