Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rear diff pinion seal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 92loyale59

92loyale59

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • clackamas

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

so i looked in the search forum and found a little bit of help on this subject but not much. i was wondering what the best way to replace the pinion seal on the rear diff off a 92 loyale . i remove the driveline from that end ans tried using a breaker bar to break the big 27 mm bolt loose while the tires were still on the ground but no luck . do i need a impact gun to remove it ?? thanks in advance for any help

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,351 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

maybe place a jack under a breker bar? The one time i tried to replace a pinion seal, i was unsuccessful. I went as far as trying to drive the cr so that the pinion nut would rotate gainst the breaker bar against the ground. no luck.

#3 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

I did mine with a rattle/impact gun to do the job.  It took some time to get it off even with the rattle gun.  Once the nut was off I remember the flange coming off easily.  

I used the rattle gun to put it back on.  

Cheers

Bennie

#4 92loyale59

92loyale59

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • clackamas

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

thanks a lot . i tried a huge breaker bar and the nut would just move along with the wheels even though i had them blocked up. i guess i will try to find someone with a large enough compressor so it can actually power my impact gun

#5 robm

robm

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Terrace, B.C.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Try having someone put their foot on the brakes, HARD!  Then use the breaker bar and a piece if pipe.

#6 odie

odie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • CC, TX

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

bigger breaker bar...I got a 2 footer for tough nuts...but a high quality impact gun is probably your best bet...

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,664 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

if you have some large flat steel of some sort - you can drill two holes in it and bolt it to the flange the driveshaft bolts to - this will then provide a lever arm to lock the diff/wheels in place so they can't turn while you're messing with that nut.

#8 92loyale59

92loyale59

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • clackamas

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

if you have some large flat steel of some sort - you can drill two holes in it and bolt it to the flange the driveshaft bolts to - this will then provide a lever arm to lock the diff/wheels in place so they can't turn while you're messing with that nut.

this was my only other thought . i will probably try this then . i just hope i can get the nut back to where it was when im done hah

#9 92loyale59

92loyale59

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • clackamas

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

so i ended up makking this tool to hold the diff in place while i used a breaker bar to remove th 27 mm nut

Attached File  rearr diff pinion seal tool.jpg   49.1K   5 downloads

it worked but i did end up bending the tool some . i parked my car facing up hill so i wouldnt have to drain the diff fluid since its all ready new .once i removed the 27 mm nut i tapped off the coupler or whatever it is and then drilled a small pilot hole in the seal and  drilled a long wood screw a bit into it . then i pried on the seal and out i came . greased up the new seal tapped it in and tapped the coupler back on then i put lock tight on the threads and tightened it back up to where it was ( i made i mark with a chisel) . now theres no leak . thanks for the advice evryone  

#10 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,664 posts
  • WV

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

great, glad the tool trick worked, good job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users