Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone had a hub crack while driving?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

when removing the ball joint a crack started at the very top of the notch for spreading the ball joint open. it's about 1/2" to 3/4" long and isn't anywhere near all the way or even half way through.

i welded it from the inside ball joint area, installed it and torqued the pinch bolt, then welded the crack from the outside as well.

GD posted in another thread that welding cast iron isn't effective.

New bearings/hubs will be on order but for now i'll drive it to work tomorrow morning.

Good idea, bad idea?

this is for an XT6 but they share EJ/Legacy/Impreza hubs (they can be interchangeable, same ball joint part number, etc) so I posted it here.

Edited by grossgary, 01 January 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,774 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

I would think that's from someone wailing on it in the past trying to replace a ball joint.

Cast iron can be welded, but its best to preheat it first, then toss a blanket over it to withold the heat and allow it to cool slowly.

I'd drive it. Just don't be crazy with it.

Edited by Fairtax4me, 01 January 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,518 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

I had once cracked an xt6 knuckle in the same mannet. I then found out that the xt6 ball joint is actually smaller thn one for a legacy, but the same size as some earlier impreza (maybe fwd?) I damaged mine trying to install the ball joint. Since they were out of stock, i got a legacy ball jont with the one xt6 unit they had, and this is how i discovered that they were different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users