Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 loyale halfshaft assembly

is the knuckle on the car still? my methods are if the hub is out, drive the axle through with a hammer and block of wood from the inner end, enough to thread on the castle nut and draw it in more, enough to get the washers on. the torque after finishing will seat the axle fully.

Otherwise, install the inner end to the trans, place the knuckle over the axle, and drive the knuckle onto it with a hammer and block of wood, enoygh to thread the axle nut, and then install the ball joint.

I install axles with the knuckle in the car and I use two framing hammers and block of wood to get the axle through, takes about 15-20 mins a side. Theres a write up on here that describes how to do it, but all you do is get the axle in as far as you can and thread the spindle nut on, then put a hammer claw on each side of the nut and pry both out evenly...the nut will pull through like butter. Then do it again with blocks of wood under the hammers and move the spindle nut another inch or two. By now you can get the hub on and start torquing it through without the cone washer to pulll it through enough to eventuly get the cone washer and and lock washer on..torque it to 145ft lbs and your done.

If your having a hard time visulizing the hammer positioning, put both framing hammers(with straigh"rip" claws, not curved finish hammers) back to back witht he claws touching....now cross the handles and imagine they pivot there...hook the claws on the spindle nut and pry off the knuckle on each side...hopefully that helps

Josh