Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pull engine+transmission

So I found a 84 subaru front clip that I can buy for $50 to get the front suspension bits.The thing is I have to pull the engine and transmission first before I can have it. I have pulled engines from EA81 vehicles and I have pulled transmission from EA81 vehicles, but never both at the same time.My question is what is the least labor intensive way to get both engine and transmission separated from front clip+suspension?The front clip is supported off the ground about 1.5-2ft.

On the GL-Loyale series, the engine is not connected to the suspension.  The engine is connected to the frame.  The transmission is also connected to the frame.  And the suspension is connected to the frame.  All using difference connection points.  You lift the engine out and drop the transmission, unless you really want to make things difficult.

what is there ...two bolts either side of the gearbox cross member, two nuts each side for the engine crossmember if they don't break first, and three strut top bolts and it should all fall to the ground in a hurry which is where a decent trolley jack comes in handy to drag it out once lowered. Before doing that I'd be undoing the front hub nuts 36mm and cracking tie rod tapers, remove engine mount nuts.

But why pull their engine at all, suspend the engine from a coupla bits of decent lumber or steel across the top of the fenders or just insiode so no panel damage and leave their shuff hanging - take yer stuff and thank them :P

Edited by jono
  • Like 1