Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 EGR system delete guide?

Hey all,

Been searing around the forum for information on an EGR delete for an ea81, and while I've found a few comments on it here or there, I was wondering if anyone had ever written up a guide to delete the EGR system in an ea81 that is suitable for a fairly newbie to follow.

Thanks all in advance.

OK, which EGR system have you got? I am going the other way and need to restore one or two EGR systems.

Do you have an EGR valve as such or the air pump system? The air pump system does not actually have a pump as such but looks to draw air into the exhaust on one side just below the head and supply fresh filtered air into the inlet manifold via a plate and pipe where EGR valve would normally bolt on.

EGR is usually only set up to operate when at operating temp and between about 1 to 10 inches Hg. If you have an ECU it may limit it to below 30mph as well, so I get the impression it is only for low speed operation such as in slow moving traffic such as in built up areas

It's EGR valve.

My car has had a bucking problem once it reaches operating temperature, and I have reason to believe that there's something screwy going on with the EGR system (or the thermal vacuum valve). I figured I'd just get rid of the EGR while I'm looking into what's going on.

Do you have more details about how to do it?

Edited by belacane

My car has had a bucking problem once it reaches operating temperature,

Very unlikely this has anything to do with the EGR system or the thermovalve.

More likely a carb that needs cleaning.

You defnately should plug the large line off the EGR that runs over to the AAV on the passenger side fenderwell.  It causes a big vac leak.  But otherwise the EGR vavle itself is not likely to be any sort of issue.

Very unlikely this has anything to do with the EGR system or the thermovalve.

More likely a carb that needs cleaning.

You defnately should plug the large line off the EGR that runs over to the AAV on the passenger side fenderwell.  It causes a big vac leak.  But otherwise the EGR vavle itself is not likely to be any sort of issue.

Yep, that's exactly what it turned out to be a vacuum leak. Ended up plugging where the intake went to the thermal vacuum valve, which seems to disable the anything going to the EGR, and she runs like a dream again.

Incidentally, also thought it was the car and cleaned her out pretty good. 

Here's a picture of what I ended up doing (pic of passengers side of the engine):

IMAG1346_zps2445c76b.jpg

IMAG1347_zpsea3f75b8.jpg

Edited by belacane