Updates are gonna be a bit slow from now on so don't hold your breath.My computer is down and right now I am borrowing a laptop,although I do have an old computer I could dust off the cobwebs use it to browse the internet…just it would be slow…
Anyway I didn't get much done this weekend.I got my front crossmember blocks measured,mocked up and tack welded-then I ran out of CO2 on sunday .So I removed some of the un-needed brackets from the engine bay with a hammer and a pry bar because I was running out of Oxygen for my torch.However, ain't life grand but I couldn't get the battery tray out without using the torch and I ran out of oxygen as I got most of it out…So I started to take the dash out to gain access to some cancer in structural spots.
This is the rust hole in the passenger side wheelwell.
This is the cancer in the driver side wheelwell.
So I pulled the old beat to hell dash and sound deadening out.The old dash was heavily cracked and I was just gonna throw it away, so I thought I would see how much it weighs and how much all of the padding weighs.
The dash with no switches,wiring,HVAC or anything weighs 15 lbs,I removed all the padding and it lost 7 lbs.I'm not sure if I would run a dash without all the padding but for the subaruer looking to remove as much weight as possible 7lbs from one source is alot of weight lost…
Anyway here is a pic of the stripped dash next to the new-ish dash.
Just in case you were wondering what it would look like in the brat.
Finally monday arrived and I got some new O2 and CO2, and a smaller torch tip for $50 all said and done.I was busy running errands but I still got the front crossmember blocks welded and painted.If anyone is interested in putting EA81 suspension and its crossmember, some adapter blocks have to be made.The front bolt holes are offset by 1 3/8" each side and the rear bolt holes are offset by 3/16".
Here are the blocks hanging off my engine hoist for paint.
I also took apart my heater core and I am glad I did.The hoses for the heater were shot and probally would have failed the second they were pressurized,the heater valve had failed,and the heater core itself leaked,and all of the cables/pivot points were froze up from lack of use or sitting in the elements…
Thats all I got for now.
Edited by Uberoo, 15 June 2015 - 12:26 AM.