Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pop + Black Smoke = More Power????

My EA81 Hatchback has been having this power loss issue for quite a while now. I replaced and tested just about everything I could think of. So I took it to a mechanic and he told me the cat was plugged up. Ok well that narrowed it down. But I needed to save money to buy a new cat. Well today while driving the car, it seems to have fixed it's self. There was this loud POP, then black smoke shot out the tail pipe and my power returned. Felt like a new car. So my question is.... what caused this loud POP and the black smoke???? Seems really strange to me. :-\ But boy am I happy now to be able to climb the mountains again! :burnout:

Thanks,

maybe its like when you eat mexican food. your stomach acks for like 20 min. and then PPPRRRRFFFFF... you're all better:lol:

HAHAHA oh my, thats funny! Yeah well I'm sure it will plug up again, so I better replace the cat anyway. Gotta work this Sunday Zeno. :mad:

black smoke would be a indication of large amounts of unburned fuel suddenly burning

the pop i would guess would be the large amount of unburned fuel exploding in the exhaust and clearing out the restriction

at least for now once it plugs up again expect it to happen again

but i may be wrong