Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacement throttle cables pedal end not to spec?

hi guys. this is my first post. but i've been readin for a while.

i've found that when i went to replace my torn throttle cable that the replacement i picked up at o'reilly's (a pioneer) has a different nub on the end as what's currently holding onto the gas pedal, and that it wouldn't fit into the reciever either way. replacement has a horizontal cylinder on the end of the wire, whereas the original has a cylinder parallel to the wire, if that makes sense. i notice that tsk replacements online also have the same spec..

has anyone encountered this before? do i have to go pull an accel cable from a yard?

thanks!

this is my car, by the way

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/142197-feeler-1987-subaru-gl-dr-wagon-fs-complete-or-part-out/

it's been running great since nigel put in a new radiator. picked it up off cl on thanksgiving.

hi,

i can't say what is up with the aftermarket but they get it wrong  A LOT,  i have found that subaru is as cheap as some aftermarket on cables and better quality,,  if it's speedometer , clutch,  accelerator,  all the cable stuff  and thermostats , BUY ORIGINAL!  my 2 cents.

I got a new one at Autozone, and the only problem i had was that a tiny bit of cable was protruding past the end f the "barrel" that hooked on to the pedal rump roast'y. Trimmed it off and it works fine. And i bought an extra to keep in the parts/tool warehouse that the cargo area has become.

Edited by spazomatic

With my dealer installed cruise control, I couldnt find ANY replacement cables for mine.

So I fabricated my own out of motorcycle brake cables. Hardest part was sanding down the carb end of one of the cable nub to fit correctly.

And the motorcycle sleeves are all nylon lined.  Buttery smooth!

I have no idea where and how "rump roasty" popped up in my post. I typed the shorthand for "assembly", and when editing, it appears like i want, but when posted, it comes out like cooking instructions.

It looks like it just doesnt like shorthand for assembly. ie- rump roast'y. Hahaha

Edited by spazomatic

I have one acc cable US sourced for the longer length, $5 price :) and just found its carby pull end won't fit just yet as the finish of the cable being pressed into of the end pull leaves a little to be desired. The end was not cast into th cable, rather pressed with like a centre punch type securing method, and a bit of cable strand poking out end. I have a few more residing in Grayland at the moment ....* cough, cough if you are reading Mark ...dunno if they are the same yet :(

XT acc cables are a heavier duty than EA81 and 2 series. An M8 thread on the throttle end instead of M6 and XT seems to have a ball and nylon socket at the pedal end

Edited by jono