Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ harness interchangeability?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Carl B.

Carl B.

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Just curious about the interchangeability of the EJ harness from different years.  Im thinking of getting a fresh harness to make my ej swap look a little more professional.  

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,582 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

What do you have currently?

There is some interchange, but not a whole lot.

#3 Carl B.

Carl B.

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

I have EJ251 engine with all wiring and ecu from a wrecked '01 RS.  The salvage yards around here have a few Outback Sports with EJ25 but not so many RS.

#4 Carl B.

Carl B.

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

I assume something from another MAP car would be best.  

#5 Carl B.

Carl B.

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Okay, the way I understand it is, as long as I match the harness and ecu I should be okay. Also would have to match cam and crank sensors with the ecu. Can anyone verify if Im on the right trackm I might be better off pulling the current harness out and cleaning it up.

#6 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

Hey Carl B, on both of my EJ swaps I've completed I basically kept the plug ends that plug into the engine main plugs and cut a foot or two off of the main plugs that come off of the ECU. The rest of the wires I made from new wire, the cam sensors, crank sensors etc that use shielded wire I just installed new. You can find an electrical wire distributor near you that sells it by try he foot. For the throttle sensor I used a shielded cable with 4 wires in it and it all works great. The shielding protects the wires from electrical noise. For the standard wires like for the fuel injectors, power wires etc I'd just use regular 18g wire. I've even thought of going to the pull and save here and taking an ECU, and all of the plugs and making a harness/ECU setup to sell.

#7 Carl B.

Carl B.

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

Scooner,  I think I may do that.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users