Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 gl hatch 4wd clutch questions

Greetings!!

As stated in the title i've got a 84 gl hatch 4wd. I'm gonna replace the clutch on sunday and i'm running into information issues.

I understand the i need to have the flexplate turned.. but my issue is no machine shop in my area is open on sunday... so i had this bright idea that id just goto a scrap yard pick one up have it turned an be done with it.. problem is.. no car like mine.

I was wondering if anyone out there had an idea about which flexplates where usable from different years?

was out at lynwood  pick an pull they got a 88 or 89 not 4wd and not same engine.

Ive got a mech friend helping me with this.. i'm disabled and can't do much leg work so just working off what he says he finds

is there a parts cross reference my google searches  just cant find??

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

thanks for your time. 

well it's been slipping for a while so i figure it might have some hot spots or something on it..

i've adjusted the the cable multiple times just to make sure its not that.. but everytime i give it a bit to much gas.. like if trying to pass someone it revs up.. but thats it.. no increase in speed...

until i back off the gas an ease into it..

I've just replaced the cable do to it snapping at the pedal.

am i even right to assume it is the clutch? been into cars for years mostly chevy v8. ive had my share of small cars but this is first with clutch. not that i dont know how to drive one... just first time having to deal with it.

thank you for your quick response :)

Make sure you have a 225 mm clutch kit.  Some of the earlier ea81s had 200 mm clutch discs.

Last time I had an ea81 flywheel turned it was $50.  There is a removeable step ring on the ea81 flywheels that needs to be machined along with the surface of the flywheel itself so the relative difference in the "heights" of the surfaces of the flywheel and ring remain the same.  Otherwise the pressure plate will sit too far off the flywheel to properly engage the clutch and you may experience a slipping clutch that is brand new.

ok...

so clutch install went great.. except for... it's still slipping. mechanic said flywheel looked good so we just went with it.. thinkin maybe should have had it turned anyways :( but just to make sure i've got the right flywheel to begin with i would like to double check part number... only numbers i can see on it are K-1   10   and 904  google searches on those number return nothing.

wondering if anyone has any ideas..

Do you have teh cable adjusted too tight?

The cable should have a bit of looseness when foot off clutch.  Should be able to wiggle the Clutch fork abit.  If the cable is tight all the time, it will keep the PP from returning all the way.