Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Gl Wagon

Hey guys newbie here!!

I've been looking for a LSD or POSI or something for the rear end of the wagon?? 

I don't now what rear end I have or gears or anything about it???

I do know that it's a 1.8 EA81 that is swapped to a 1.8 EA82 with a Weber 32/36 non turbo 4wd.....ect....ect.....ect.

I just need to find a lsd or something or I'm just ganna give it a Lincoln Locker!! HAHA. :)

• Like 1

check the 4wd section.

there are some subs with a stock limited slip rear, but I think generally you will have to put your ring and pinion on it due to a difference in ratios.  you should be able to search it out easy.  not much you can do with the front though.

yah the overall rear end is the same, just a different ring and pinion gear and a limited slip carrier. either way the part you want is the carrier, its pretty easy to swap the gears themselves.  I think some of the newer gen rears will work as well, but can't be sure on that.  obviously if you swap the trans and rear then you won't have to change the ratio.

says that its already swapped in your original post, do you want to swap it or is it already changed?  If you have an EA81 then I wouldn't swap it.  the EA82 introduced a few small issues and you have to change timing belts.  not worth it for 8 hp or whatever its got over the 81.  if your planning on putting money into a swap, check out an EJ swap so at least you can get a proper look at your options.  the extra cost to do an EJ would probably be a bargain compared to the gain (if your going to swap anyway).

• Like 1

yah the overall rear end is the same, just a different ring and pinion gear and a limited slip carrier. either way the part you want is the carrier, its pretty easy to swap the gears themselves.  I think some of the newer gen rears will work as well, but can't be sure on that.  obviously if you swap the trans and rear then you won't have to change the ratio.

says that its already swapped in your original post, do you want to swap it or is it already changed?  If you have an EA81 then I wouldn't swap it.  the EA82 introduced a few small issues and you have to change timing belts.  not worth it for 8 hp or whatever its got over the 81.  if your planning on putting money into a swap, check out an EJ swap so at least you can get a proper look at your options.  the extra cost to do an EJ would probably be a bargain compared to the gain (if your going to swap anyway).

Yea I'm doing the swap only because I have already bought all the parts to rebuild the motor and to put the Weber on it, and I got the motor for free soooo yea....., I'm just building it to drive back and forth to work, still have the 4 speed in it but, I really just want something a little different.

So yea I'm just ganna look for another carrier with the spiders in it and make that my Lincoln locker so I can swap it out if I need.

shouldn't be much of a chore to swap.  make sure you use the right clutch and flywheel, I think they will "interchange" but have marks in the wrong place.  might have to do some exhaust mods or plumbing mods, but nothing difficult.

looks nice, I like those models.

I you won't see enough benefit to full spool the rear (what I think your talking about with the locker).  if you want to fully lock the rear your going to have to weld it cause nobody makes a locker to fit.  great if off road, and horrible if your on the road so I would just keep looking for the LSD.  once you have it installed its kind of best of both worlds.  if you plan on wheeling it to the point of needing it fully locked you probably won't be driving it to work for long.

shouldn't be much of a chore to swap.  make sure you use the right clutch and flywheel, I think they will "interchange" but have marks in the wrong place.  might have to do some exhaust mods or plumbing mods, but nothing difficult.

looks nice, I like those models.

I you won't see enough benefit to full spool the rear (what I think your talking about with the locker).  if you want to fully lock the rear your going to have to weld it cause nobody makes a locker to fit.  great if off road, and horrible if your on the road so I would just keep looking for the LSD.  once you have it installed its kind of best of both worlds.  if you plan on wheeling it to the point of needing it fully locked you probably won't be driving it to work for long.

Yea I don't ever plan on taking it on a dirt road haha, I'm ganna running a carb instead of the EFI do I need the older distributor or dose it matter?

This is the latest.

So after the motor blew up, I should have keep it but I just sold it, but I got an EA82 OHC EFI, that I'm not ganna use, haha I'm going with a Weber with custom plenum because I can build one WAY cheaper than they sell for.

And I guess I don't have any pics of the re-welded 240sx steering wheel splines so that's what that steel shaft thingy is haha. :)

post-51416-0-10920300-1389460271_thumb.jpg

post-51416-0-28585500-1389461190_thumb.jpg

post-51416-0-22488900-1389461261_thumb.jpg

post-51416-0-06179500-1389461758_thumb.jpg

post-51416-0-44462600-1389461893_thumb.jpg

post-51416-0-99964000-1389462220_thumb.jpg

post-51416-0-56422500-1389462435_thumb.jpg

post-51416-0-23587900-1389462447_thumb.jpg

post-51416-0-46192900-1389462456_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottyBigs

Nice wagon!

Care to elaborate on how you got it sitting that low?

I have my Brat project on the back burner and I am aiming for it to be almost as low as your wagon.

Thanks!! :) 

And I had to custom coilovers for it, I took the AE86 short shock idea and made my own thing with that in mind.

Yea I don't ever plan on taking it on a dirt road haha,

Why does it matter what rear end you run if you are never gonna be on dirt? 

You won't ever be using the rear end.  Maybe for snow?  But with the car sitting that low I don't think you're gonna be drivin in snow much.

Might as well leave it open.  LSD or Locked isn't gonna make any differnence in how it drives day to day.  (well, locked would be terrible for a road car/DD)

Why does it matter what rear end you run if you are never gonna be on dirt? 

You won't ever be using the rear end.  Maybe for snow?  But with the car sitting that low I don't think you're gonna be drivin in snow much.

Might as well leave it open.  LSD or Locked isn't gonna make any differnence in how it drives day to day.  (well, locked would be terrible for a road car/DD)

Well I need a lsd to do a burout haha. :) So I'm just ganna put a Lincoln Locker in it.

Idc how this offroads this thing is the spoob! I love it! I got an EA82T Wagon, im trying to get it on this level!

I'm not ganna take this thing anywhere near a dirt road haha maybe. ;) and that would be sick!! I have the EA82 motor is it ganna be a ez bolt right up type of thing? Do you know?