Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Gl Wagon

looks awesome... bet she rides like a lawn tractor though haha no flex left!

Hahaha :) No I have suspension it will tuck the wheel into the fender quite a bit really, it soft too, the rear of the car need work done to it though it kind of rides stiff to stiff. 

You can run the trans in "RWD" but one thing to watch out for is that the rear lock up coupling with give way over time.  I have my Brat feeding a transfer case for a couple years then one day it just wouldn't move any more, completely shredded the dogs on the rear output clutch.  The other issue with running with the welded rear is that is will eat rear axles more often.  It tends to stress the cups on the outward joints quite a bit.  Don't let that deter you though, these cars are a kick in the pants as a RWD!

• Like 2

For full time rwd I would recommend removing the spider gears from the front dif and severely reducing its weight. Don't remove it because it plays a large part in lubricating the entire trans. Just reduce the rotating mass. Furthermore, remove the 4wd linkage and weld up the rear output clutch. Put two e brake handles in the center console and set them up to control only one side each. A little practice using the two handles to slow the spinning wheel you should be able to perfect the rwd burnout.

But remember you only have 90hp to play with!

For full time rwd I would recommend removing the spider gears from the front dif and severely reducing its weight. Don't remove it because it plays a large part in lubricating the entire trans. Just reduce the rotating mass. Furthermore, remove the 4wd linkage and weld up the rear output clutch. Put two e brake handles in the center console and set them up to control only one side each. A little practice using the two handles to slow the spinning wheel you should be able to perfect the rwd burnout.

But remember you only have 90hp to play with!

I would do all that but, that sounds like a lot of work that I don't want to do haha. :)

Ahh I see. They look good! I got a set of what I'm pretty sure are the same wheels today for 80$ from the junkyard. I'm planning on just drilling two holes in them to fit on to the 4x140 pattern. But they are going to be a bit heavier and bigger circumference so I want to wait until I put the webber on and tune it up. Did you notice that it took a little more to push these rims ?

• Like 1

I'm still building it, I don't even have the motor in yet.

My plan is to rebuild, port and polish a little to get some better flow in the EA82 OHC motor I'm putting in the car, I just buy part here part there to try to keep the build going you know.

I don't think it's ganna be that bad to push them around though.

• Like 1