Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Gl Wagon

• 4 weeks later...

You will need the shifter assembly, it is a plate that is connected to the trans with a rod, and then to the body with a stud/nut (of which the stud is already in your car).  The driveline, mounts and crossmember.  

Jerry is the 5spd swap guru, look him up (bratsrus1) I am sure he will be able to tell you what I missed. (it has been a long time since I did my swap, and it was far from a standard install).

One huge recommendation though, while you have the new trans out of the car still, pop off the transfer output assembly, and clean up and weld the output coupling, then you will not have to worry about it going at an inopportune time (I was lucky and was off-road when mine went, and just had my wheeling partner drag me home).

Great update, do hope to run in to you around town or something.

• 1 month later...

I know this is a noob question but can you mount the heads on wrong on a ea82?? Need answers tonight??

you think you mounted them wrong? or making sure you dont?

you can interchange heads, i havent seen it done, but you can tell by EGR hook up spots.. and you would have to turn cam cases around i believe...? not 100% on that but hope it gives you a good idea  :)

you think you mounted them wrong? or making sure you dont?

you can interchange heads, i havent seen it done, but you can tell by EGR hook up spots.. and you would have to turn cam cases around i believe...? not 100% on that but hope it gives you a good idea  :)

Yea I was reading on some other post and the say it doesn't matter, that threaded port is for the EGR crap, and I'm not ganna run it anyways so I'm fine on the heads, even though the are technically on the wrong side it doesn't make a difference.

• 3 months later...

Alright guys I've got the motor swap and trying to get it running and I need help!!!!

I have the piston TDC, 1st cam timed and second cam timed.

Dizzy pointed at number 1.

Getting spark.

Won't start???

I don't know what to do am I missing something??

Coil hooked up, new plugs, wires, carb, gas, timing belts, oil pump, rings, pistons. New everything it's a fresh rebuild.

Looks like your #1 and #3 plug wires are wrong.    Disty firing order is 1-3-2-4      Starting with the #1 at disty being closest to the firewall.... then #3 is counter clockwise from #1.

#1 cylinder is front passenger side.    #3 cyl is rear passenger side.

I got that figured out and I have everything set on TDC, dizzy is on #1 all the plug wires are set, still won't fire.

I don't understand at all, starting to bag my head against the wall.

• 1 month later...

I have a dilemma, had the car running was running great, new dizzy, plugs, wires, coil, yesterday I got off work and I had to jump it and I found a burnt fuse wire and a wire looking like it got hot, now the car won't run at all like it is dead in the water, tried running power straight to the coil won't start.

Why don't I have spark at all???

Sitting here beating my head against the wall.

It would help to know what wires fried/got hot. Is the coil fuse blown? What about a fuse link?

I found the fuse wire burnt, and the fuse in the box burnt, replaced all of it, coil is new now, and control mod in the dizzy, everything is getting power, and still no spark.