Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Forester Shaking/Vibration problems

Hey guys I still have my 05 Forester X 2.5L automatic  and recently it started shaking when I reach speeds in between 51-55 and 65-70 if I let off on the accelerator between the speed it stops but as soon as I step on the gas it will start again and its only in-between those speed I haven't been able to figure it out

Any ideas on what could it be oh and the check engine light is on.

Thanks you for your opinions

I have two thoughts about that right off the bat: 

1. wheels and tires: but if it smooths out when you get off the gas that probably isn't it...

2. carrier bearing / ujoint in the driveshaft down the centre of the car. I had one of those fail in my 05 Outback last year and the symptoms were very similar to what you describe.

How many miles are on it? If it started at a higher speed and is slowly working its way down look at the driveshaft. This is a sign of a frozen universal joint. Next time you feel it see if you can feel it under your seat or more from the front of the car. Under your seat or the floor it is the driveshaft.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel it more in front of my seats not under . when you feel it  feels like the whole front end is shaking . The steering wheel doesn't shake by the way only the front end of the car , and like I said its only when I am accelerating from 50-55 and 65-70 , when I let the pedal off its stops shaking but when I press the pedal again at those specific speed it will start all over again