Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What spare tire size for my 96 legacy wagon?

So I put some 205/55/16 wrx wheels on my 96 legacy l wagon, and need to find a spare tire that is the same diameter and will fit in the spare tire compartment in the hatch.  I used to be able to carry a full sized spare with the 14's, but I tried one of the 205/55/16's and the diameter fit perfect, but the width was to thick and the lid won't close.  The factory spare/donut is over an inch smaller diameter than the 205/55/16.  I figure that's not good on the AWD  if I have to go very far on it...  I thought, just get a factory spare from a 2002-04 wrx, but they appear to be the same size as the one I have (T135/70/D16)?

You could still use the donut if need be. Just put the donut on the rear axle, and insert a fuse into the FWD fuse holder under the hood. Inserting the fuse, changes the car to front wheel drive only.

Once tire is repaired, and all 4 tires are the same size again, then pull the fuse to have all wheel drive operational again.

If you rip the foam blocks off the bottom of the cover over the spare does it sit down low enough? I put an outback size spare in my 96 and it fits pretty close. Had to re-arrange one of the tabs at the back that holds the spare cover up.

A 195-70-14 should be pretty close and still fit in the spare tire well.

Tire size calculator here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=205-55r16-195-70r14